USAir pax leaves ipad on plane; uses find-my-iphone to track thief

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by mre5765, Dec 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

?

Was the thief who you thought it was?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting story if true.

I was yearning for paragraph breaks in the wall of text. :eek:

3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost gave up reading all the way through because of this guy's not breaking it into paragraphs, but I hung on to the good conclusion.

But the writer will never get me to buy his novel, if he can ever get one published.

(Never expected the culprit, but should have picked up on the fast turnaround at the hotel as a clue.)

4. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the story is true, I'd contact US Airways to let them know. Use the confidentiality thing as the passenger's proof of knowing what happened, and by whom.

There's legal, there's moral and then there's stupid. If you swipe an iPad like that and are too dumb enough to wipe it, you should be caught.

5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just cannot replicate the precision or the movement or the changing of AppleID to change the name of the device ! The dude must have a super-duper NSA-issue device tracker :p;)

Imagine, if this was possible - We'd all be Spy Vs Spy with all our former and current partners/children/employees, or more like dumb-clueless corner-office bosses :cool::)

I present to you .... Bond

6. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure that as of ios7, unless one knows the iCloud user name and password of the legit owner, there is no way to use it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use it, especially if there's no security code on it. But if you have an iPhone on iOS 7 and it's secured via an iCloud user then you cannot wipe it to start out fresh (to set it up as a new user). Well, you could, but then it's essentially a brick.

anileze likes this.
  8. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could not replicate it on my ipadmini. An ios7 requires a password on startup. While not a brickable situation, it is not easy to use an ios 7 ipad either. Dunno when the person who posted to reddit left his on the plane. :)

bigx0 likes this.
  9. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What I mean is, if you have no security code on your iPad, anyone can use what's on it. They turn it on, browse the web, play most games that are on it, etc. They cannot buy new stuff or change the apple id associated with it since those activities would require the apple id password. If they are really lucky there is no apple id associated with it, but that's highly unlikely, of course.

As far as I know, unlike with an iPhone, the thief can do a DFU recovery mode restore to wipe an iPad and set it up as new, but I haven't tried that since I don't go around stealing iPads :).

10. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From what I can tell, once one enables find my iphone on an ios7 device, (one of the slide bars under Settings) one must know the legit user's iCloud ID and password. And in order to enable find my iphone in ios7, one must have an iCloud ID and password.

And once the ios device is associated with an iCloud ID and password, one cannot reset it without knowing the iCloud ID and password.

Therefore, enable find my iphone on and ios device, and my point remains: it is pointless to steal an ios device.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    bigx0 and anileze like this.
  11. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a very good point -- obviously he must have had it associated with an iCloud account in order to use Find My iPhone.

Re my previous post about iPad in DFU mode -- looks like even that won't unlock it if the owner was using iOS 7 and registered it as lost.

12. mre5765

mre5765 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or the victim had an earlier version of ios on his device. Or the thief had a copy of an earlier version of ios via a previous back up of another ios device.

13. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, you can't downgrade iOS.

14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:

Find my IPhone was enhanced in the recent iOS7 update. Not sure how it works now if someone manages to wipe it via DFU recovery.

It use to be useless, dfu wipe and your device is gone.

I use to run iPhone forensics a while back. It was amazingly easy to bypass the pass code screen and go through all your details. iOS seems to screenshot your current screen when you click the home button to create the "zoom out" effect. It saves it in the cache and never deleted itself until it's full.

15. ezb

ezb Silver Member

Status Points:
    The owner must also, using "Find my iPhone", register the missing iOS device as "lost" by locking it. Then, and only then, will the person with the device need to enter the appleID and password to make it usable again.