USA to LHR/DPS & Back (Via OW Explorer & Avios)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by edekba, Oct 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to start planing our next trip; and want to to hit London & Bali. We have ~118k AA miles each (This is for me and the new wifey) & have enough SPG to transfer to get 130k we'll need to use AA OW Explorer that will allow us to fly 20k in Business.

My Current thinking is doing LAX - LHR - KUL; HKG- LAX which would be about 19309 miles on AA/MH/CX and then do KUL - DPS - HKG via Avios which should be about 10k/12.5k per person in Y.

Are there any other options that I should consider? Will I be able to interline bags at KUL/HKG or should I plan on spending a night at each?

This is not till our 1yr anniversary so I have about 1 full year to plan/book this guy.

Alternatively ... JFK- HKG; DPS- KUL - LHR - JFK would work too, but then HKG-DPS via Avois will be cheaper but then we'll need to get to NYC (We can use Southwest RR Points for that but more time wasted)

OR :: ORD - HKG; DPS- KUL - LHR - ORD [HKG-DPS via Avios] // LAX <-> MDW via WN

---
    We want to stay 6 nights in LHR and 3/4 nights in DPS. Total trip length is 2 weeks (We get 10 working days PTO) so depending upon when availability is it can last between 11 to 16 days.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Singapore Flyer likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alternatively ... I just thought about would be
    LAX - HKG - DPS - [SIN - DOH - LHR on b787] via (KUL - LHR on a380) - LHR - DUB;
    DUB - BOS via Aer Lingus Avios

Thoughts?

3. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    would that route save some money on the LHR exit tax? If it does, I think that would be pretty good. Since most flights back are flying in the day time and can't find a long haul all the way back to LAX might as well have a decent product with less out of pocket cash.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

edekba likes this.
  4. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    Congrats on the recent marriage!

edekba likes this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I think so. The Aer Lingus flight lands at 4pm and last flight southwest has is 5pm ish so I'll have to most likely spend a night in BOS. Not that big of a deal :)

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm now I wish there was an easy way to figure out Aer Lingus availability online so i can have everything lined up; but it seems the only way to check/book is through calling BA.

p00p. Gotta wait a few more days till the entire schedule is bookable but looks like LAX - HKG - DPS - SIN - DOH - LHR - DUB is available... on the dates we want...

7. Singapore Flyer

Status Points:
    reading on noob traveler, TPG and lucky it seems you can search qantas and united along with expert flyer to search.

edekba likes this.