USA to Iceland

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Sweet Willie, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm hoping to go in 2014 during shoulder season which IIRC is late April/May.

Besides the $59 oops fare from a few years ago, what are normal/approx airfare rates for a USA-Iceland RT? And is Icelandair generally the cheapest airline to fly to Iceland?

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last summer I flew NYC to KEF for right around $1k that was August. Flew DL.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  3. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL had NYC-KEF for about $625 early June of this year ($870 ORD-JFK-KEF). We're looking for that same timeframe next year if you're up for it. Many "summer" tours don't start running until early June AFAIK.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool !

I need to do more research, I remember doing a MR to ANC which was a blast but being April, quite a number of sights were not out of winter yet so not open.

Anyone redeem an award ticket to travel to Iceland?

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

When I looked earlier this year for a potential trip this summer, the Delta fares were about $650 from JFK. Iceland Air was a bit cheaper, if memory serves right. I couldn't find any award tickets to use up my Delta miles (at least not reasonably priced ones). Trip is postponed; going to mainland Europe instead.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know whether the offer is still available, but it had been the case that if one took Icelandic TATL, one could do a several day stopover in Iceland essentially for free. The package included hotel rooms, which can be expensive in Reykevik.

A couple years ago, IIRC KLM offered service from AMS. Of course, I would expect SAS and perhaps other Scandanavian airlines to have service too.

It could be better to go there as part of a European trip rather than a destination from the USA.

Finally, IIRC the DL service has been only in the summer, not during shoulder season, but I might be remembering from its first year. Be careful about the aircraft type DL uses and expect domestic FC rather than BE, maybe not even AVOD.

7. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have this fare for a family of four coming up July 28-Aug 15, prime season.

legalalien likes this.
  8. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reykjavik has three Club Carlson properties, two of which are sub-15000 points per night (and look perfectly fine).

9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seem to be some nice and interesting boutique hotels.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  10. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my trip report on Iceland Air Business class as a stop over. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/iceland-air-saga-business-class-iad-kef-ams-august-2012.44689/
    But it’s no longer available via AS miles. We stayed at the Radisson up the hill and it was good, within walking distance to town – but I think at the time it was like 30 or 50k/night – if it’s now 15k it’s completely worth it – they gave us the breakfast buffet as gold on an award, which was worth $35/person.

I always recommend looking at the TravelZoo style Iceland Air packages that come up since they include some tours that run $100/each. If you fly Iceland Air I think economy comfort is worth it if it’s not too much more, includes lounge access at ends, food and drink – if you go economy food and drink is all pay.

11. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are two Radisson Blus (44K and 38K) and one Park In (9K). Availability at the Radissons isn't so good for award nights in August, but I did snag one night at the Blu 1919 -- we'll probably have to be satisfied with the Park in for the other two nights.

12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at the Radisson Blue that was not the Blu 1919. The Blu 1919 has a prime location right downtown.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    All Icelandair fares permit a free stopover in KEF so you can double up on the vacation if you want, getting both Iceland and somewhere else in Europe as part of the trip. I loved the one day I spent there 14 years ago and I'm hoping to visit again next summer.

14. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that the stopover could last up to a maximum of five nights. However, I saw an advertisement last week that said the stopover could be up to seven nights in length.

There appears to be support for it on the website:
    http://www.icelandair.us/flights/stopover/
    http://www.icelandair.us/offers-and.../package/item603412/Icelandair_&_GAPP_-_2013/

Was I misinformed about the five night length or is this is a new development?

15. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    cool... I have this fare for a family

16. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Its also possible to fly through UK airports. EasyJet is flying twice weekly between MAN and KEF as an example and a return ticket you'll get from USD 120 in March next year. Delta is flying to MAN dependent on season 5-7x weekly from ATL and I guess it will be easy to redeem points since the flights have rather low cabin loads some of the weekdays and outside the high seasons (August is twice as busy as January at MAN - and 83% are leisure passengers). You may have to stay overnight and I can highly recommend the upper floors of the Radisson BLU at MAN - and if you are on low budget the close by Travelodge can be recommened (with double rooms from as low as GBP 15).

PS Icelandair also fly from MAN to KEF

17. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    We stayed at Centerhotel Arnarvholl which was a great location for walking all over the city. It is located right on the waterfront and the breakfast room is on the top floor with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the water. Room was tight but sufficient. Would stay there again.

18. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew BOS-KEF on Iceland Air the last weekend of winter, May 14th. $575 pp a/i

Nearly everything seemed open, though it likely had only been open for a week or two. It ment things were still priced at the low season level, but it didn't snow or freeze, and there was 21hours or so of daylight.

We stayed at the Hilton, which was "Hilton Meet Ikea" in terms of fashion.

As a gold I got an upgrade to the executive floor, which had a spectacular view from either side, though the much more dramatic on the ocean side. I assume they give that side to the Diamonds ;)

The was a lounge with snacks and free beer at happy hour and breakfast with VERY good bread and pastries, including the wienerbrød that i was craving ;)

Loved Iceland. Rent a Car, Drive around as far as you can. If you get up and moving you can drive all the way to Vik or West Iceland and stop at all the cool things you see on the side of the road. And you can still make it back for dinner. Also it never gets dark so you don't have to worry about seeing the road.

legalalien and iolaire like this.