US vs. AA for European Flights (MR)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mdtravel, Sep 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I need to do a throw away / MR flight to Europe. I'm based in CLT and looking to do a one or two night trip to somewhere in Europe (FRA, MUC, LGW, etc.). I need to get miles credited toward US for status.

CLT to FRA is attractive b/c it is direct. But it is on US metal and US metal is the worst metal...or is it?

Is AA to western Europe in coach as cramped and crappy as US to western Europe?

If I book on AA and credit to US, do I get full mileage credit towards status?

I am a US CP. If I book on AA do I have any upgrade options at all (mileage, paid, de gratis) for an economy purchase to western Europe?

Newscience likes this.
  2. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA Y is better than US Y for the most part. The planes are newer and the seat pitch is better especially if you can get into MCE. However from CLT your options are limited. You could connect MIA, JFK, DFW or ORD. Or maybe just take the train and fly out of RDU.

I think US has direct service CLT - ZRH. that's a nice city for a weekend getaway.

You can't (yet) cross upgrade intl from AA to US. but you should get MCE seating on AA metal flights.

mdtravel likes this.
  3. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grazie for this. I hadn't even considered MCE...I've been so well-trained by US to accept the bleacher seating they have in coach!

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure a 3+ hour detour each way on a 1-2 day trip is worth extra leg room. Also, AA's 772s and 763s in Y are pretty clapped out compared to US A330s (fuzzy IFE or none at all, cigarette lighter port for power or none at all, just old, tired looking planes). The 77W would be the desirable choice here.

mdtravel likes this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA it typically better metal but some of the US planes are decent, just try to avoid the older 767's. It seems like you might need to connect to PHL for some of the better options but that's not a biggie from CLT. US changes the plane's seasonally on many routes in the past for Winter months. For example the PHL-FCO route seems to be a 767 times I've gone there in the Winter. There used to be a list buried on the US website that shows the aircraft for each route seasonally.

With your Status I would book through US and get the upgrade since Envoy on US is better than Coach on AA. You have much less chance at an upgrade on AA. However if you have them put your US number on the reservation (You can also do this yourself through Finnair's website usually) it should open up the premium coach seating for no extra cost. It will also credit your miles toward US status however I don't know if you get the full CP bonus but I would think you would at this point. Also if you book the trip in 2015 things may change by then on upgrade crossover.

mdtravel likes this.
  6. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you thought about doing one or two runs to SEA or ANC instead? Flying from RIC, 2 R/T's to SEA is cheaper than flying to Europe and get the benefit of the almost guaranteed upgrade to F.

7. mdtravel

mdtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had thought about SFO or SEA but I need quite a few miles...but ANC had never even entered my mind. Routing from CLT - PHX - ANC gets me 100 fewer miles than CLT - FRA and the price is 1/3 of coach to FRA. Awesome idea! I've got a three or four day window to do this type of things and I might actually be able to get two done in that timeframe...heck, maybe even three!

Counsellor and brodyf like this.