US-VIE Austrian award space not shown on UA website?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Jul 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking for an award to VIE. If I try to search, say, JFK-VIE nonstop only, I get "there are no nonstops". However, it does show options via EU cities continuing on OS (e.g., FRA-VIE).

Am I doing something wrong? Or does UA omit Austrian transatlantic flights?

What's the best way to search for OS space from/to US gateways? Or is that futile and they never have any space? Looking for 2 business seats in second half of September.

Thanks!

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good luck. I have been eying VIE for over a year, looking at space. I finally booked in Late March for November travel and the only US - VIE options I had was EWR- BRU - VIE // ORD - BRU - VIE // US - SAS Hub - VIE.

I thought that maybe they're like LH and don't release much Business class space. If you find otherwise please share!

Maximizer likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Likely neither. If there are no award seats available then the flight won't show. And it is up to OS to decide whether to release the seats or not.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just no availability the dates you're looking. I've successfully found and booked OS flights (JFK - VIE - CDG) in premium cabins via UA.com

edekba, CGK, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also went to Europe on OS in early june with miles (JFK-VIE and return). The new OS seats are great, and the food is fantastic. VIE is an easy connection airport also. Their availability this past summer was fantastic. Maybe they were trying to promote the new seats?

Flyer1976 likes this.
  6. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What puzzles me is that I'm not seeing OS flights at all, not even the double-priced options. I enter "JFK-VIE nonstop" and it says there are no nonstop flights available to this destination. Same for ORD or IAD.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot get the "Standard" awards on partners, only on United, as the partners don't make the extra inventory available to United for booking.

LETTERBOY, Maximizer and edekba like this.