US upgrade needed

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Dublin_rfk, Dec 30, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    A coworker and cancer survivor is planning a 20th anniversary trip to the Bahamas and booked a pair of coach seats in 2015. I am trying to find a UG for her. I have UAL UG's (to barter with). Can anyone assist.
    Edit on 01/02/2015

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried this on a recent flight. The only way this is possible anymore on usairways is up to 24 hours in advance.. And only if first is available.. Elites get the upgrade before anyone else

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you really mean to claim that it's possible to upgrade a US flight using UA upgrade instruments. Also, upgrade inventory is normally required, not just available FC seats.

4. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No you can't use UA upgrades I'm pretty sure of that.. I'm saying in general for NON US elites there's no upgrade inventory available till 24 hours before the flight takes off

eponymous_coward likes this.
  5. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the information. My knowledge of the us program is nonexistent. My coworker purchased the tickets prior to asking and I am just trying to assist.
    I have edited the original to possibly remove misunderstanding of the request.
    And thanks to all.

6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only way to upgrade the flight absent "GO upgrades" (i.e. akin to TODs) is to have someone use miles from their account, but that will also incur an upgrade fee as well.

7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again to all. It's always worth a try.

8. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a quick question. How does an AA Gold find out if there are "Go" upgrades available on US flights and where do you go to buy one.
    (If you could not tell, a newbie AA elite :)). Thanks

9. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good Doctor, the Go upgrade as I noted were akin to the buy-ups offered at checkin on UA, so if offered, you could get one at check in to purchase. Do note though that as AA gold you are eligible for a complimentary upgrade at check in if space is available and will be added to upgrade list prior to departure if not. When programs merge it will be offered complimentary starting at 2 days out.

10. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think Complimentary if under 500 miles, otherwise upgrade certificates are needed. Caribbean trips would probably not get complimentary upgrades in most cases, you would still most likely use the upgrade certificates.