US Trying to Purchase Alaska(n)????? Right....

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Art234, Jul 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only that...

"Unconfirmed reports say U.S. Airways is trying to buy out competitor Alaskan Airlines. After previous failed attempts to merge with United, U.S. Airways is the last of the major airlines which have not merged."

(American will be happy to learn they are no major airline anymore.)

"The airline bought America West in 2005."

Really? And I thought America West bought US Airways.

mht_flyer and Art234 like this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    The most hilarious thing about this catch is that the editor of the Florida News Journal has removed the article due to not being able to confirm the validity of the story. Classic.

4. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh no doubt the thought has occurred to Doug Parker, "hey we're strong on the East Coast, we've kinda killed Vegas, we do have strenght in Phoenix but a Seattle hub would be cool. And we'd be bigger and I'm kinda bored with this US Airways/America West integration thing that's been so hard, maybe the secret sauce would be to throw more pilots into the mix, happy pilots like they have over there at Alaska, plus if the employees come after me I could fly to Nome or Adak Island to hide."

Sticking Alaska with US Airways' cost structure and labor relations is a bad idea. US Airways' Star Alliance membership might add additional scrutiny to a US-AS combo, given UA's hub at LAX and SFO. Certainly AA/DL (who currently partner with AS) would make their voice known to the DOJ.

This doesn't seem like a very good idea, which of course is why it's imaginable that US AIrways might try to do it!

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's more likely that AS would take over US than the other way around. Certainly AS has managed to grow their business over the last 10 years. US, not so much (putting aside the merger).

NYBanker likes this.
  6. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think anyone wants to acquire US Airways because of its ongoing/neverending union issues from the AmWest/US Air merger. It is bad enough to deal with merging companies A and B much less dealing with C.

eponymous_coward and NYBanker like this.
  7. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA merged with TWA only a decade ago. Well. a near-death TWA, but it was a merger.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, but the US/America West combination was years after that, so the statement still doesn't make sense.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last I heard, they still hadn't integrated the pilot lists between these two carriers.

10. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, 0.000001% chance is more likely than 0.0000000000001% chance. ;)

richinaz likes this.
  11. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's the Art234 we all know and love...Good to see you back here!

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, technically it wasn't a merger. AA just bought most of the assets of TWA, which put former TWA employees into a bad position. Some very experienced FAs are glad to be flying RJ routes still. Personally, I lost a lifetime lounge membership in the process. This is very different from a merger, where the new airline is forced to take on all of the former airline's obligations.

13. wanderlust
    Original Member

wanderlust Silver Member

Status Points:
    Technically, it was a "merger" by definition.[1, 2] Of course many TWA folks were hurt because it was a takeover, not a merger of peers, no matter how they tried to convince people:

Sean Colahan likes this.