US Transcon: Which airline?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by kraven, Jan 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am currently looking for an transcontinental flight across the US (SFO/LAX-BOS), but I wonder which airline should I take? It must be a direct flight and prices seem to be more or less equal, except of US.

My list so far:

UA/CO
    + UDU as UA*G
    - no PTV at all

VX
    + PTV
    - Baggage fees

B6
    + PTV
    - ???

AA
    + ???
    - no PTV, Baggage fees

Which one should I take?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a *G, The obvious answer is UA since you will get UDU, free bags, and will be able to collect miles on your program.

B6 has a solid coach product though...
    Never flown VX, can't comment.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless you don't plan to renew your status or will end up between levels, the UA option seems the obvious choice, absent big price differences. VX and B6 are nicer in coach I suppose, but the status is more useful imo. Also better frequency and treatment in event of irops I imagine.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    FF miles are secondary as I have no intentions to renew my status ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Freed from the ravages of EQM addiction so that the airline is no longer the deciding factor, you can then turn to getting the biggest bang for your buck. It is a long flight (nearly 6 hr) so that it would be nice to be as comfortable as possible, meaning extra room. If purchasing at least a C seat is not an option financially, then UA becomes the clear winner because of UDU, and if that fails, you have the best fallback option in the business: E+.

jbcarioca and TheTravelAbstract like this.
  6. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA would be a no-brainer for me if they are offering a decent IFE.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL also serves this route with their domestic version of BE, including lounge access. Many aircraft have IFE and GoGo WiFi.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree. The best domestic coach product out there is B6. E+ cannot match the IFE nor the general in-flight experience. If miles aren't a concern I'd take JetBlue just about every time, assuming the price is comparable.

I thought DL only had that to JFK, not to BOS. :confused:

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're right. I didn't read carefully enough.

The advantages of DL are likely to be IFE and WiFi. I haven't checked BOS schedules in a while, but my guess is that there is nonstop service to LAX but not SFO.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course you disagree, as it would be uncharacteristic if you did not, except that what we have been doing here was to give what must be considered as opinions based on personal experience. Personally, the qualify of IFE has never been a consideration in my decision-making when it comes to choosing flights, preferring a comfortable seat in which to pass the time with a good book or work on my laptop. So, I really have no idea what there is to disagree with when someone says that if comfort is important, which it would be for me on any trip of more than 5 hr, using one's elite status to try to get upgraded or get a roomier seat in E+ should be a consideration...

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    NYCUA1K
    It's worth noting that B6's pitch on the A320 is 34 in, or 38 in in the extended legroom section. E+ is in the middle at 36 in. I think. Differences in which is the more comfortable and overall superior product will come down to more than seat pitch. It's not like B6 is offering up 31 or 32 in of pitch. Delta's economy comfort product on international-configured planes is 36-38 in of pitch, and some variation of the product is being rolled out domestically (already on the JFK transcons) E+ is not head and shoulders above all other coach products.

Whether a couple of inches of pitch (or if you want even more, the premium B6 product) or IFE, snacks, etc. offers more is a personal decision. I don't see disagreeing that E+ is a clear decision over B6 to be at all unreasonable (and that really seems to be the main extent of the disagreement). How familiar are you with Jetblue's offering?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is exactly it: It comes down to personal experience and preference, AND resources. I have little experience with Jetblue. Driving my consideration was the fact that the OP had said that s/he is a *G (PG or PP), which makes him/her eligible for UDU or E+, having predicated it all with "if purchasing at least a C seat is not an option financially." There is nothing to disagree about. The OP can choose which ever option appeals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does not seem unreasonable at all to disagree that E+ is the best domestic economy product. You could split hairs and say that Jetblue economy isn't a "fallback" from a missed upgrade, but at that point you're into some serious pedantry.

I think you're overreacting a bit here - there's plenty of room to disagree, and it seems a bit much to say that there isn't. The specific sentence that was quoted expressed multiple ideas:
    1) Purchasing C or better would be ideal
    2) Barring that, united is the "clear" best choice for both the upgrade possibility and E+
    3) E+ is the best "fallback" available (which can be reasonably read as "best coach").

Barring 1, which is a clear value judgement and does not appear to be subject to any explicit disagreement, 2 depends on a combination of upgrade odds and 3. 3 is easy to disagree with, and that factors into two as well. The words "I disagree" are completely appropriate.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    One last time then I will exit this: We were just providing opinions based on our experiences. Nothing right or wrong to disagree with. Given the circumstances described by the OP, I would have done what I suggested and been perfectly happy. E+ would be the best fallback option in the business here because the OP has status with UA, as "premium seats" can cost something extra (as E+ does) when one does not have status. In the end, the OP will choose from the various options provided or none at all, based on his/her experience, preferences and resources. To disagree here is to want again to claim to know it all, including people's preferences...I hope this is clear.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget as an elite, you get faster check-in, security, boarding, etc. on UA that you don't get on other carriers. You're seated in the front part of the coach section if you're not in first class so you get off the plane earlier.

You can always bring a movie if you have a laptop or and iPad.

jbcarioca and NYCUA1K like this.
  16. kraven
    Original Member

kraven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all your opinions.
    The best idea is maybe to book the redeye flight where I do not depend on a good IFE...

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that's the case then you cannot claim that others' opinions are invalid either.

The suggestion that the 'best fallback in the business: E+' is the best domestic economy product is an opinion you've stated. I chose to disagree with that opinion and stated my reasons why. Saying that I cannot disagree with you because I have a different set of preferences than you do is ludicrous.

18. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will just end this by quoting the OP:

It is over I think...

Ciao, mate!