US to UA?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Dreamworks, Jun 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    So hear me out. I'm a US Gold and might even make Plat this year. US has been pretty good to me, and I get to the front of the plane often enough that I'm disappointed when I don't get it. I don't expect it though.

When I moved here, DCA was so convenient and I don't like Dulles. So United was out and US was in. Now though, looking at the long haul flights that I think about taking, most of them are UA flights. And I wonder if it keeps making sense to credit all my miles to US, thereby foregoing E+. I understand there's much better value as a US Gold than a UA Gold, it just is noticeable on int'l flights.

2. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Each program has its pluses and minuses. I'm CP with US, which makes it difficult to switch to anyone else--I don't want to start are ground zero with no status and UA won't status match or offer a status challenge. Also, you won't get your mileage bonus if you post to MP and don't have status with UA.

Another thing to consider: Although US doesn't offer free upgrades to non-DM members, it is possible to get free E+ and First Class upgrades on UA with Star Gold status from a partner airline. All you need to do is show your DM card to the gate agent, reiterate your status, give a warm genuine smile, and very kindly ask to be added to the upgrade list More often than not, they're willing to accommodate if they have seats available. Just look for an agent who looks friendly--avoid the ones having a bad day. Another Tip--Approach the gate agent as soon as s/he arrives at the gate. Sometimes you can get upgraded ahead of a lower level MP member if you speak with the agent before s/he finishes processing the last minute upgrades.

3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am CP with US and tried to switch over to United this year. United even gave me a status match to Gold. However, I quickly realized that Gold on UA is not nearly as good as CP on US. Obviously depends on where you're going, but I'm finding US has better planes going to UK, Frankfurt, etc... I'd rather use the *A benefits on any *A airline and stick w/what I know - US!

Sean Colahan likes this.
  4. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're more than free to ask any agent to do many things - however this isn't a star gold benefit nor UA sanctioned.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shhh... It will be our little secret. ;)

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA doesn't even allow its own Silver folks to get E+ in advance. When did they start giving it away to * Gold? I think never. Maybe in a different lifetime but surely not now. Moreover, unless you are referring to TODs for the kettles, status upgrades are much like the dodo these days [I exaggerate for effect]. As for chatting up the GA, all I have to say is HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Your warm smile? Your DYKWIA status? Added to the upgrade list at the gate? My second HAHAHAHAHAHA. Surely you jest? [troll?]. Added to the upgrade list at the gate because you have US status? One more HAHAHAHAHAHA. I can't get that as a UA 1K. Further, I wonder if you have been around a UA GA these last few months[??? - 3 means I am very curious] Have you tried to even chat with one? While some are fantastic, the rest [sUA] are busy fighting with a new piece of alien software. Chatting with a kettle looking for an F seat is probably the last thing the GA wants to do. Most folks are wise enough to let sleeping dogs lie and not bother the GA who has enough other crap to deal with.

To the OP: * Gold gets you in the lounge. UA Gold gets you to E+. If you plan on multiple UA long hauls, then look to go UA Gold rather than US Gold [or whatever it is]. One the other hand, if it is only one or two flights, stay with US and if you want E+, pay for it.

Cheers -

Sean Colahan likes this.
  7. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I speak purely from my own personal experience--nothing more, nothing less. It's no wonder why the GAs are so moody considering all the BS they have to put up with. As the face of Airline Policy Enforcer, they bare the brunt of the flying public's backlash--day after day after day after day after day after day. So, yes--when you actually have a human conversation with them, joke around a bit, and make them feel good about themselves for an ever so brief moment of an otherwise miserable day--they're more willing to help out.

8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    However friendly you may be, asking an employee to violate policies for your benefit doesn't exactly sound like helping the problem. If you're having any success with this, it's since you're asking for relatively small thing compared to say a F seat.

9. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mea Culpa

10. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    E+ Discussion aside, this is great info and I thank you for humoring me on what is really an opinion question.

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    See my suggestion above.