US to Leave *A Within Six Months of Merger

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by JSpira, Jun 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    guinnessxyz, LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  2. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Confirming earlier reports of same.

3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK... so whats important here is that American Airlines, in its new version (ie merged with US), will remain One World.... or...?

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any idea what will happen with partner award redemptions booked now (or very soon), using Dividend Miles for future travel? Who will support the (almost inevitable) travel mishaps?

5. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's been announced for months.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.usairways.com/en-US/aboutus/pressroom/newamerican.html?cint=update_21132

Given that even after the merger the two airlines will operate for quite a while as two separate but aligned airlines, I'd expect US will handle any challenges even after they cut over to OneWorld.

7. mht_flyer likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Well maybe I'm missing something but nobody that I can recall lets you purchase/earn miles with as much ease as US Airways, and that's even with the demise of the Grand Slam. Between the very, very frequent 25-50-100% bonus on miles purchased and shared, and bonuses for transferring hotel points, you could accumulate a significant balance at relatively low cost.

And other than the Lufthansa blocks, you can enjoy some relatively nice *A hard product with those miles. Sucks that they've been gradually making things worse (with the recent changes to the award including the European off-peak drop).

9. In my case I only fly them on paid tickets and think they are the worst airline ever.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

Worst than Airtran / Spirit / etc.? :)

I'll play along though... unless you're in a fortress hub, I don't see why you should fly with them if they're that bad. US is probably one of the most expensive carriers out of all the options in most cities, so unless you're doing it because you have to or because you want the status, I'm not sure why you'd sponsor them if they're that bad.

11. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will miss US as a backup airline -- plus they fly into a lot of smaller cities that UA doesn't, for example TRI.

12. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    With two airlines in OneWorld, expect star and sky to look at adding second domestic airlines.

Perhaps JetBlue to star and Alaska to sky team. Just guesses at Frontier fails and Southwest expands dramatically with the Wright Amendment ending.

You can consider AC as another domestic in star, and you might see an fader to westjet to join ow.

LETTERBOY and guinnessxyz like this.
  13. I don't fly any non *A carriers. UA will take over any code shares that AC currently has with US. That's how I fly them.

14. Jet Blue has a code share arrangement with LH so that makes some sense

LETTERBOY likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at how this was handled with BMI and *A when BA acquired them, I wouldn't be to sure that they'll be able to handle all the challenges. They may simply no longer have access to *A inventory to rebook a flight impacted by some sort of snafu, e.g., schedule change.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given American airlines culture of service, I would actually expect they would probably just buy a full fare Y ticket if that's what it took to make someone whole. That's something they can do during irregular operations, so expect that to carry forward in the small percentage of times it would actually be needed post merger.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:

More likely it would take a full fare F ticket for the crowd here to make them whole.

Flyer1976, viguera and Mike Reed like this.
  18. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    My postulation only (no facts):

Probably most of that is unlikely. I think the US-based alliance carriers will be large enough where a second domestic carrier isn't necessary or preferred. More interesting will be how the new AA handles its agreements with B6 and AS in regards to code-sharing first. Does the new AA cut off or cut back any agreement with either airline?

There's also no reason for AS to join an alliance as they have plenty of partners as it is. I think they prefer to keep their agreements bilateral, if that makes any sense.

I wouldn't consider AC as domestic in *A unless you live in Canada, and F9 will limp along for a while with revenue from charter flights. WN will continue to expand how they see fit; I don't think they're too concerned about the merger when they need to focus on their AirTran operations (and over-water flights).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  19. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's going to be a pretty large hole in the SE USA minus US. Hope you like UA RJs out of IAD and IAH...

I predict there's zero chance AS or B6 join those alliances. Both airlines codeshare with....drumroll...AA. AA needs B6 to extend their reach out of JFK, and needs AS or they have no coverage north of LAX/PHX and west of ORD. B6 gets bupkiss from *A out of JFK, and AS gets bupkiss beyond what they already get from DL if they join Skyteam, and both airlines lose quite a lot (AS codeshares with BA, QF, LA too).

As mentioned, AA loses AS, they lose the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, plus some decent Bay Area coverage out of SJC/SFO. AA loses B6, JFK becomes a lot harder row to hoe.

For what? AS isn't remotely interested in expanding at PHX, has pretty much given up expanding at LAX (a number of AA's new LAX routes are former AS/QX routes), and has no presence east of the Rockies outside of their hub routes. Why would you cut off your nose to spite your face?

mikeschu and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. In actual fact I have little or no need to go to the US SE other than FL which is well served by AC and if its a major east coast City AC also pretty much flies there directly.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  21. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how much notice does *A and/or US provide specficially when US exits *A? I'd like to book a US flight or two, but need the *A credit, not OW. "Within six months" isn't quite cutting it.

eponymous_coward and viguera like this.
  22. mikeschu
    Original Member

mikeschu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless the new AA decides everyone routes through PHX, LAX and/or potentially SFO for Pac NW and Alaska flights. Then AS isn't as big of a deal to AA, even though I wouldn't want to do PHX-ANC or LAX-ANC in a 738.

B6 doesn't help AA too much except for JFK and the Carib routes, but then AA and US can route those through CLT or MIA. So it's possible AA just runs its PS service through JFK, sort of what UA does now.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  23. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:

I'm thinking the same thing... As a witness to some of the recent devaluations and program changes, I've learned that it's never a good idea to amass too large of a fortune in miles without a plan, but even now I'm thinking about award flights for the end of next year, and just waiting for the window to open up.

Now when you're considering the alliance switch, I'm thinking that I should try to book whatever I can in Star "soon" while US is still a member, otherwise I'm going to have to start researching hard product and routes for everyone else in OW that I wasn't considering before. :)

eponymous_coward likes this.
  24. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    How would newAA route people through SFO? All SFO has is AA/US hub routes.

Also, AA doesn't fly LAX-ANC. AS flies it (in a 738 ;)). US does fly PHX-ANC, but ORD-PHX-ANC or DCA-PHX/LAX-PDX is... a really dumb routing. Forcing everyone to fly southwest to go northwest? Not so smart.

There's no real reason for AA to make their network less useful by removing AS from the equation, not to mention the fact that all this would do is make AS and DL cozier (and DL is invested pretty heavily in SEA/PDX, much more so than AA).

If you're that desperate for *A credit, so much so that you need personal assurance on exact dates for everything RIGHT NOW OMG RIGHT NOW MUST BOOK FLIGHTS NOW or else OMGWTFBBQ, I wouldn't bother with flying US, and stick to UA/AC/LH/everyone else in *A (where you know they will be sticking around). Most of the universe isn't as obsessive about this as we are, and airlines announce merger schedules when they see fit to doing things (it is possible that US/AA don't even know exact dates yet). The merger hasn't closed yet. It is unlikely that we will know many more specific dates before the merger closes.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is supremely interesting to me with that with the de-hubbing of MEM that some are prognosticating that CLT will suffer the same fate relative to the new AA. Given that CLT is not in the top 20 (although 25) MSA's in the US, it is assumed that AA would back away from CLT with insufficent O/D traffic. I would argue that MEM was de-hubbed due to redundancy with ATL more than anything else. Could be just me, but CLT serves the needs of the South and Southeast and don't see how American replaces that with MIA or DFW. Then again, what do I know.:D

LETTERBOY likes this.