US to Asia via Europe? to Australia via Asia?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tpmgpeds, Apr 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tpmgpeds

tpmgpeds Active Member

Status Points:
    I've heard that UA allows award tickets to be 15% over MPM and that that opened up routing options like US-Europe-Asia or US-Asia-Australia. I'm trying to figure out how that works for SFO-HKG.

Direct = 13,854 rt
    Thru FRA = 22,796 rt -- 65% more mileage
    Mileage is from MileCalc.

So my question is how do you get to Asia thru Europe on miles? I just can't see it, though would love to do it.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Search on United.com and it should bring up routings to Asia via Europe if the availability is there usually...

You cannot go from USA to Europe to Australia though, United does not allow this.

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can search multi-city if that's what you'd like to do.

Sadly the connections between Europe and SE Asia are kinda slim on *A. They're there, but they're thin on the ground.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/map/

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The MPM rule no longer applies. Ignore it.

And I've always found flights between Europe and SE Asia when I needed them, even in C. Often requires an extra hop at either end (or both) but not hard at all IME.

Flyer1976 and DCA1K like this.
  5. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I wasn't able to find the hops I needed, thus OneWorld to the rescue (but I was doing RTW anyway).

6. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not having any luck. For August 2013, I'm looking at HKG-BOS via Europe. I find availability HKG-IST in saver business and IST-EWR in saver business and EWR-BOS in Y (im guessing saver as well). When i try to put it together on multi-city, it fails. I thought it was due to the EWR-BOS segment but when I drop it, it still fails. I'm only looking at a 8 hour layover in IST

The error message is:

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call them as sometimes the website is wobbly bonkers. If they can't price it correctly then ask them to manually price it with the rates desk.

CDKing likes this.
  8. CDKing
    Original Member

CDKing Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitley glitchy. I found another routing and airline combo that worked without having to call. HKG-BKK-BRU-EWR-BOS. It did error out when selecting BKK-BRU in Saver F. I found out my companion doesnt have the 10K extra and its supposed to go 2 class anyways once the new 777-300ER's are delivered so decided to stay in J for now.