US Status obtained from HSJ promo

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by scubaflyer, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seemed to be a lot of action in the Hop, Skip, Jump (HSJ) promo last year. I am curious to hear from those who used HSJ to obtain higher status than they would normally obtain on US.

2. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just saw the typo in the thread title (HSK instead of HSJ). Oops. Not sure how to fix that :)

3. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have been Platinum last year, but for HSJ. Well, that isn't entirely true, since I probably would have went for a mileage run or bought back to CP otherwise, but I didn't need to. I ended the year with 87k status miles and requalified for CP via HSJ.

4. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I had my flights booked toward the end of the HSJ promo period (I found out about it pretty late). Wouldn't you know it, something came up at the last minute and I wasn't able to make the flights. I ended up only reaching Silver.

I know there might members who feel that HSJ devalued preferred status, but I for one would love it if they had a promo like this again.

5. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used HSJ to go gold->platinum. Then ended up having enough unexpected trips that I could have made platinum without the promo (and the day spent bouncing up and down the East Coast to collect my hops, skips, and jump).

On the other hand, that let me shift 20k in flights to A3 and pick up non-US *G. It splits up my RDM and I don't get the bonus RDM, but being able to access *A lounges when flying domestically? That holds a fair amount of value to me, although not enough to be worth paying an annual membership fee.

6. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been Silver the last few years but made it to Gold with the HSJ promotion. I fly none for business so reaching above Silver is out of my reach without a promotion. I went to Europe over the holidays and enjoyed the added benefits from *A. (lounge access). I wouldn't have been able to do it without HSJ.

Looking back on the "Race to Preferred Status" US ran at the end of 2009, I wish I had reached for another level so I could have moved up to Plat with HSJ.

7. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I took a HSJ MR last year to make sure I made it to CP, but I ended up making it on miles anyway. I will most likely make it on miles again this year, but would probably do HSJ if they offered it just to make sure.

8. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to those who have shared their HSJ experience here. I know that alot of people were able to take advantage of this promo to reach a new level that they would not normally achieve otherwise. I'm really curious to see if US will do HSJ again in 2011. I'm sure the inventory control/revenue management teams are keeping a close eye on the increase in Preferred and the impacts that has in 2010/2011.

9. FarPoint
    Original Member

FarPoint Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was Platinum last year and was on track for Gold for the year. Thanks to HSJ and a one-day PHX-CLT-BTR turnaround trip, I made Chairman's.

US will likely have some type of promo that allows folks to retain or elevate their preferred status for the next program year. The reason is simple - it looks good to investors if an airline has an increasing number of "Preferred" flyers. It doesn't look good of those numbers start to fall.

desert_gecko likes this.
  10. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't count on it-- say someone went from Silver to Gold on HSJ, has flown very little in 2011, and hits another promo to raise their status to Platinum. You'll basically have Platinums that theoretically could have flown very little but wind up with pretty lofty status. That is going to cause unrest among the BIS elites. I won't be surprised at a DPQM promo (and am hoping for it, and soon, because I've got a boatload of travel to book). But I wouldn't look for a repeat of HSJ or anything similar to it. Investors like to see steadily increasing elite ranks but they do not like seeing attrition among the elites that actually fly. What investors really want to see is bookings going up, not everyone and their goldfish being a Platinum or CP

11. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Plat that has BIS miles will always get the upgrade over the HSJ who had few miles. I would be slightly annoyed though if I was flying 50,000+ a year but got beat out by someone who did HSJ and jumped a level above me.

I would guess US does some sort of promotion challenge this year that might not piggy back on your current status. LIke the challenge of Oct-Dec 2009. I liked HSJ more but the other seemed to award status that mirrored actual flying habits better.

12. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went from Gold to CP with the HSJ promo. I ended up flying a total of about 90K BIS miles so I would have made platinum anyway.... however, some of the flights I would not have taken except for HSJ. I am going to everything I can to maintain Chairman's. I like it. :)

scubaflyer likes this.
  13. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think Doug would have taken that A&B cert from you if you were Platinum? Chairman does have some privileges [​IMG] [​IMG].

sc801 likes this.
  14. Oiuyt
    Original Member

Oiuyt Silver Member

Status Points:
    High status non-flyers don't affect high-status BIS. I'd have no problem with giving top-tier status to a billion people that are never on the same airplane as me. Doesn't affect the chances of an upgrade one bit.

The problem comes when we're talking huge numbers of low-frequency travelers who, in aggregate, equate to a reasonably high number of normal-frequency travelers. For the most part I don't think we're there yet. US (and others) should feel free to be generous to people who don't fly often if it helps them elsewhere.

Then again, people who don't fly generally don't contribute much to a airline's profits either.

15. ariyo15
    Original Member

ariyo15 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I HSJ'd from silver --> gold. Thankfully though, with a new job, I'll actually hit gold on my own this year.

16. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    dirt to gold last year. i don't fly a ton, but every member of DM had the same opportunity to advance like i did. sucks for them if they didn't and complain as a silver if i take one of their rare upgrades

17. ramolnar
    Original Member

ramolnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure if I'm the "lightest" CP out there, but I bet I'm close. I went from no status to Platinum off a Trial Preferred, flying 22,509 miles through 4 transcon runs. (I clearly wasted 9 miles.) I was originally going to just make Gold for international lounge access, but then I had a extra trip I wanted to make to LA.
    HSJ gave me the extra level with just a nice SDF-CLT-BTR and a Shuttle flight I was going to do anyway. So I was awarded CP off 17 segments and about 26K miles.

My total revenue flights for the year were just under 40K (plus Track-it-back usage). This year, without any promos I'll make Gold, because I have a trip to China and a conference in Ireland. That's 25K right there. A Double PQM promo would be nice because I can then credit some flights elsewhere, but I don't plan to get above Star Gold level.

Should those of you that did 120 segments be mad? Maybe. But I don't fly that much, so except for the CP certificates I'm not costing you seats.

DeacFlyer1 likes this.
  18. bthobe
    Original Member

bthobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would have gone from Gold to dirt also since I stopped flying to go back to school. Even though I have only traveled a little bit since the HSJ promo, having the status was well worth it in terms of baggage fees saved, priority boarding and decent shots at first class.

19. FarPoint
    Original Member

FarPoint Silver Member

Status Points:
    Happy to hear there's a CP a bit lighter than me! I had made it with about 46K miles for the year thanks to HSJ...

20. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was silver but was not going to requal as silver by year end. With HSJ, I made gold instead of becoming dirt. It may not matter much since I do not have much travel planned this year...although I hope that changes. So for $300 and a day of flying, I still think it was worth it. HSJ was fun too.

21. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would love to do one of these HSJ's. Do you think this might be offered again? If so, how would I find out about the offer?

Kate

22. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think many of us would love to see another HSJ - but honestly don't know how they would plan it. There are some new routes that could be included - for example, Charlotte-Dublin - but I don't think I'd hold my breath on its happening. I would definitely do it again (have I said that already?).

I'd also be very happy to see some double EQM offers and have US share some of its delight in having a profitable year with their preferred flyers.

bthobe and scubaflyer like this.
  23. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I would also love to see some double EQM offers come out. For the last one, US happened to have some great (read very cheap) e-saver fares to Europe right after they announce the double EQM. I did 2 of those and racked up a ton of EQM. I have a bunch of travel to book this year, so I hope they offer some form of DEQM soon.

24. rhoady

rhoady Silver Member

Status Points:
    One reason for them not to do another HSJ with the same terms is the very real possibilities of a parley. Even people who had 0 miles last year went up a tier with one H/S or J. So a gold who had flew 0 miles last year before 1 H/S or J is now a PLT. Another HSJ would put them at CP even if they flew 0 other miles this year.

Don't get me wrong, I'd beg them to do it again. Hoowever a lot of CPs reatined status and others went up a status with HSJ and 1 day of flying.

scubaflyer likes this.
  25. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that it would not make much sense for them to do it every year. I guess I'll have to hope for every other year :D.