US selling miles at check in?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by philatravelgirl, May 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I checked in online for my US flight and in addition to choice seat, preferred access and baggage fee there was a double and triple mileage purchase option -I don't remember reading about this before-when did this start? At what point would you consider doing this if at all? was flying 852 miles they wanted $19 whereas 1000 points via US website/points.com is $35
    Thanks!

2. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dunno about online checkin, but the kiosk has been offering this for a couple years - and I think it's an option on the website at purchase time as well.

I can't comment on the value as I'm not trying to collect US miles.

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although they've had the mileage multiplier for a while now, I think the new check-in screens they introduced in the last week or two now present this option when checking in, as the OP suggests.

852 miles for $19 vs. 1000 for $35 is definitely the better deal, mathematically. 852 for $19 is about 2.2 cents per mile, which actually is pretty close to the value you get when US Airways runs "buy miles" promos where you get a 100% mileage bonus on purchased miles...maybe others can comment if I'm accurate with that statement?

5. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess you get two chances at it, when you book the tickets on US Airways, I've been offered the double and triple for many many months. But you can't go back and pick it after you have bought the tickets (at least that option doesn't show up for me), only at purchase. And, now when at the kiosk. For my longer flights, I have picked it, since it "feels" like it is worth it. My flight to Paris from Austin netted an extra 10,000 miles for $129 (I think that was the price at the time) by choosing "double". This last flight was only about 1200 miles, and somehow the double or triple price just wasn't grabbing me (and now I can't remember what it was).