US scraps baggage re-screening for international passengers

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by sobore, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/tr...-international-passengers-20121214-2bdpz.html

US lawmakers passed legislation Wednesday allowing officials to waive baggage re-screening requirements for international passengers arriving in the United States.

All passengers arriving at US airports currently must have their checked baggage re-screened if they are flying on to another domestic destination, in a process that leads many travellers to miss their connecting flights.

The "No-Hassle Flying Act" gives authority to the Transportation Security Administration to waive the re-screening of baggage that arrives from foreign airports that use US-equivalent baggage screening systems.

The new rules would first go into effect at 15 airports in Canada, Ireland and the Caribbean, which already use facilities pre-cleared by US authorities.

Read more:
    http://www.watoday.com.au/travel/tr...-international-passengers-20121214-2bdpz.html

jbcarioca, milchap, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  2. effseeoh

effseeoh Gold Member

Status Points:
    That isn't very useful. It only applies to pre-clearance airports. You can't get on a flight from LHR, CDG, MUC or anywhere very much at all and do this.

milchap and jbcarioca like this.
  3. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does help if you use the pre-clearance airports a lot....... :p

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we're optimistic we'll emphasize the "first" in the statement.

However, PreCheck was 'first' for only domestic pnr's of selected carriers. International connections and onward intra-US travel on an international pnr were to come 'soon'. 'Soon' is not yet here. Probably this one will take a long time too, because the TSA probably will do airport by airport baggage security evaluations.

Question: if the bag did not blow up getting to the US, why imagine it might blow up on the next flight. This is not about Customs, but baggage inspection. Right?

YULtide, goalie and milchap like this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: Silly rabbit-dontcha know that trying to have the TSA 'splain common sense is SSI ;)

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    For foreign bags from some countries to not be re-screened, that will require a change in how US airports handle baggage in Customs. If you think about it, the baggage area isn't sterile. Bags from trusted countries would be in the same general area as bags from untrusted countries.

The only way I can see it working is if US Customs did what Canada Customs does at some airports (and the US uses this at preclearance at some Canadian airports too). Your bag is kept sterile. You don't even touch your bag during Customs clearance. You see it on a monitor and if the Customs agent wants the bag inspected, he has it set aside. Most passengers do not see their bags at all.

I could see the US partially adopting this for flights from trusted countries, and having passengers from other countries continue to collect and recheck their bags as previously. But it will take some time. That's why the preclearance airports can go first.

YULtide and jbcarioca like this.
  7. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, they ask if the image on the monitor is your bag. Hmmmm..... a black suitcase. Could be mine or it could belong to any of 1000 other people. How am I supposed to know? But I give the only valid answer: "Yes". I feel more secure.

sobore and jbcarioca like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Big flyertalk/milepoint bag tag?

YULtide and jbcarioca like this.
  9. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's on my carry-on. No-one's going to spot it in the lounge if it's checked.

But given that you have to place the bag on the belt face-down most identifying marks will be obscured. What you'd need would be a distinctive decorative pattern on the back/bottom of the bag. But that's only possible if you think of it before you go through the procedure the first time. Maybe the second time.

jbcarioca likes this.