'US Ryanair' to charge up to €77 [ 100$ ] for hand luggage

Discussion in 'Other Airlines | Europe' started by uggboy, Oct 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || 'US Ryanair' to charge up to €77 for hand luggage ||

When does business end, when does Madness begin? :(

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spirit remembers me to 100% about Ryanair, so much so, that I have it posted under Europe. That's life.:D

ConsultingChris likes this.
  3. ConsultingChris

ConsultingChris Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder when no-frills airlines will start charging for bringing your own food and water on board.

Sunshine7 and uggboy like this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now you give them "food" for thoughts. [ I believe they planning on something already ]

I'm however also concerned when "mainstream / legacy / full service carrier" will begin to charge for hand luggage. It's a possibility, maybe not in the near future, but these days everything is possible, as long they see the opportunity to introduce yet another fee.

ConsultingChris likes this.
  5. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    No offense to the people that do it right, but I think they should charge for over-sized duffel bags or wheeled bags.

Having to deal with bags that won't fit or people that are unable to lift their own bags into the overhead have slowed boarding and made me almost miss a connection in the last two weeks. If you reduced the fee for checking those, you might have more people checking at check in or the gate and would speed boarding and deplaning.

uggboy and (deleted member) like this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I said in another post, it began with check-in luggage charges, many people wanted not to pay such heavy fees which are often add up to a large portion of the actual flight price, carriers wonder why there are now more and more, larger and larger luggage pieces for the overhead bins brought in by passengers, now carriers realize there is a chance to charge for hand luggage as well, but is it a step too far? Have carriers this brought upon themselves in the first place? It feels like a dilemma which impacts passengers daily around the world more often than not.

7. ConsultingChris

Status Points:
    The people it impacts the most are the people that don't travel that often. People who travel a lot typically have a status with the airlines that gives them free checked bags.

I think charging for bags put into the overhead punishes people who either don't travel much and don't know about the fees or people that don't like to check bags.

My view is that they should penalize people who try to bring too large of bags on the plane, not people who travel light and want to carry a small bag that easily fits in the overhead.