US plans smartphone apps in 2012

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by SC Flier, Aug 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    From their AboutUS employee publication
    https://wings.usairways.com/uswings/news/aboutus/download/081111_aboutus_outlook.pdf

Q. American, Delta, Southwest and United/Continental all have smartphone apps. Any plans for US Airways to enhance our customers’ experience by offering one?

A. John Gustafson, managing director, E-Commerce & Distribution Strategy, explained that improving our presence on mobile devices is an important initiative at US Airways and we’re actively expanding our efforts. We have focused on our mobile website first – http://mobile.usairways.com – because it is compatible across hundreds of devices. We’re working on launching new functionality on that site, including the ability to check in using your mobile device, and continuing to improve the interface of the mobile site.

Apps are the next wave of mobile and they are powered by an entirely separate technology infrastructure than our mobile website. In addition, each unique operating system (e.g. Google Android, Apple iOS) requires a unique app. As a result, the development and technology support required are more complex.

However, we are excited to report that we are actively planning to roll out smartphone apps next year. Eventually, apps will be used to book tickets and ancillary services and also give customers the ability to manage their Dividend Miles accounts and reaccommodate themselves in the event of a service interruption. Given the broad scope of how apps can be used in our business, there is a lot of work required in order to ensure we deliver a great product.

richinaz and Gulfstream 550 like this.
  2. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Translation: Not in this fiscal year's budget. :D

3. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Better late than never....

Sean Colahan, richinaz and mrredskin like this.
  4. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    i clicked on this thread to post EXACTLY that. i was going to add "right?" at the end, tho

Art234 likes this.
  5. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Much needed. I tried to book tickets on my iPhone the other night and it was impossible to complete

savydog, druiddation and sc801 like this.
  6. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The only remaining question is will they spend the money to do it right, or skimp like they normally do and get a half a**ed product?

druiddation and richinaz like this.
  7. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that functionality has been around on some competitors sites for over a year. I'm sure Southwest had it even longer ago since I used it and I haven't flown Southwest in a long time. Talk about being slow to catch up with technology.

Is it all a money thing or just a lack of understand technology? The existing web site is often very slow (watching that moving logo gets maddening at times) especially when viewing seats or purchasing tickets.

While you can always be surprised, I'd side with them skimping and doing a half a** product (which usually costs the company more money in the long run).

8. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks as if it has been either removed or locked down from outsiders. I'm not aware of another source unless it shows up on http://www.justplanenews.com/ which is currently showing an April 2011 edition.

sc801 likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    sc801 likes this.
  11. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Wings is an employee only site. About US is not usually available to the general public.

12. phlwookie
    Original Member

phlwookie Silver Member

Status Points:
    They need to apply proper security permissions to files and directories on their employee mobile web site so they all require authentication. This is a pretty common misconfiguration, but this sort of thing can result in data breaches.

savydog likes this.
  13. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does US really need an app?

There are fewer elites, and generally fewer people waiting to upgrade or standby. So seeing whether you're 10 or 20 on the upgrade list of a UA A319 with 8 first class seats isn't really necessary.

US actually wants to check in first class customers, instead of sending them to kisoks and they can tell you where the inbound is coming from.

I'd rather have lower fares and better customer service than an app - but that's just me.

14. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally...welcome to the 21st century US!