US Pax Claims He Had to Stand The Entire Flight

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/25/travel/passenger-of-size/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Air travelers usually are prepared for the occasional hectic and overcrowded flight. But all are hoping they'll at least be able to sit down.
    Arthur Berkowitz, 57, stood for the length of his US Airways flight in July after a fellow passenger occupied half of his seat. The non-stop flight from Anchorage to Philadelphia lasted seven hours.
    "I didn't fly from Alaska to Philadelphia," Berkowitz said on consumer advocate Christopher Elliott's blog, Elliott.org. "I stood."
    CNN recently reported on the extensive flight delays that travelers experienced during last month's snowstorm. JetBlue has begun reimbursing those customers for their eight-hour tarmac waits, and Berkowitz feels US Airways should do more to address the issue of his extended standing.
    He initially had an empty seat next to him on Flight 901, but a late passenger sat there and took more space than he paid for.
    "His size required both armrests to be raised up and allowed for his body to cover half of my seat," Berkowitz said.

Mapsmith likes this.
  2. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although this story has made national news and most people agree with passenger asking for more compensation, I think the problem should have been addressed before the cabin door was even closed. The passenger of size should have been required to purchase the extra seat or removed. (I believe that this is the proper procedure if both armrests cannot be lowered). The "Standee" should have been given the choice of a) his original seat, b) any other seat on the plane, including those of higher class or any seat taken by non-revs (who would have been deboarded unless their flight was required) , or c) refund of his ticket AND a seat on the next available flight by any carrier.

Why this was not done lies entirely within the purview of the Airline, and the Customer.

The Flight should never had the door closed until the difficulties were taken care of.

PointHoarder and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the version I read, it seems like the overweight passenger was a late arrival. I wouldn't be surprised if the gate agent closed the door as soon as he boarded, and the FA's might not have noticed right away (or wanted to deal with it) with the pressure for an on-time take-off. I completely agree that it should have been addressed before take-off, but it probably would have resulted in a delayed departure.

I suppose if you find yourself in that situation, then its your best interest to make sure its noticed before take-off.
    I could imagine it would be a socially awkward situation - I doubt that anyone would want to have to call out a large passenger in front out everyone else. However, we now know that the alternative is standing for the entire flight.

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were the passenger, I would refuse to raise my armrest to allow the other person to take up part of my seat.

5. Gulfstream 550

Gulfstream 550 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with DeacFlyer1 - The passenger should have complained on the plane. I have seen USAirways Flight Attendants upgrade passengers to F once the door is closed.

LETTERBOY likes this.