US offers free snacks, but with a side of advertising

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by sobore, Aug 30, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.boston.com/travel/articl...s_free_snacks_but_with_a_side_of_advertising/
    [​IMG]

Maybe there is such a thing as a free lunch, if you include a little advertising.
    For a few weeks this summer on selectUS AirwaysShuttle flights from Logan International Airport, passengers got a snack box without charge - thanks to a sponsor who paid to print a commercial message on the box.

The ads were the brainchild of Ryan D. Matway, who founded Air Advertainment LLC, based in West Palm Beach, Fla., to commercialize the concept.

So far, the agency has conducted one snack-box advertising campaign at a time; in July, it launched a promotion for the New York-based online luxury retailer Gilt Groupe,, a members-only shopping service.

Thanks to Gilt’s ads on the boxes, passengers on the US Airways shuttle flights did not have to pay the usual $4 to $5 price. The airline distributed 100,000 free snack boxes in three weeks, it said.

“Back in late 2008 is when I got this crazy idea,’’ Matway said. “Why not bring the snack back on board for free, and give the advertisers this captive audience?’’

The shuttle, which covers the business-heavy route between Boston, New York, and Washington, was chosen for its passenger list, which includes many of the high-income professionals who are Gilt’s target customers.

Read More: http://www.boston.com/travel/articl...s_free_snacks_but_with_a_side_of_advertising/

SC Flier, richinaz, SK2868 and 4 others like this.
  2. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    seems like a great idea.

rwoman, uggboy and Jett Rink like this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep. Can't complain about free snacks even if the box is littered with ads.

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct! Even when I am not a targeted costumer for them!:p

rwoman likes this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The idea is good one and bring some advantages to passengers too, will we see more of this in the future and can it be sustained through a whole airline network?;)

rwoman likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea indeed, when you fly with them on this route!:rolleyes:

rwoman likes this.
  7. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's this? US offering something for more adverts? Those lovely tray adverts are so appealing after all :p ;)

Still - for those on that route, it'll be a nice nibble... and to look at some adverts...

rwoman, sobore and uggboy like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the thing... Somewhat difficult to target the ads, and thus probably not very effective overall considering the cost.

rwoman, Kevincm and uggboy like this.
  9. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is a very clever way of putting a benefit in the hands of the customer without raising costs. I've heard a lot of negative remarks about this program but honestly, how else do people expect to get something for free these days? Without the ads, the price of that snack box would be passed along to the customer in one way or another. I would LOVE to see this idea expanded to other routes and even (or maybe even more practical!!) free ad-supported wifi in flight.

rwoman, Kevincm, sobore and 2 others like this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just imagine.....free Ad-supported WIFI......open up the browser and it says welcome please press our advertisers buttons or you will have to pay for the service!:p

rwoman and Kevincm like this.
  11. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hell give me an international upgrade from Y to J and I'll walk around
    with the US logo on my forehead for one week!!

:D

uggboy, ande777emt, rwoman and 3 others like this.
  12. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    To paraphrase one Mr Meatloaf "I'd do anything for an upgrade... but I won't do that...... " ;)

uggboy, sobore, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  13. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad way to get "free" food...if they stoop to RyanAir levels...well that's an entirely different problem. ;)

uggboy, Kevincm and sobore like this.
  14. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    With US .... I'm just waiting for them to pull that stunt.

The trick with Ryanair is of course, not to give them a penny. The other trick with Ryanair is not to play their game... and choose a carrier that will care ;)

rwoman likes this.
  15. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    A lot of apps make more money on ads than they do by selling an ad-free version. I'm actually surprised nobody's done a full-on advertising partnership with gogo outside of the occasional promotion. People would put up with a pop-up or commercial every 12 minutes just like on broadcast TV, or give them the option to buy ad-free Internet. It's a captive audience and very price-sensitive. If the wi-Fi is free, half the plane or more would be connected.

uggboy likes this.
  16. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Give me status for ten years and the airline can tatoo their logo on my arm.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  17. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    With US, I'm actually surprised that they haven't gone to plastering the interior of the plane to bring down costs. Guess this is just the first step.

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, they have (or at least had) tray table adverts.

19. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Gilt ads were done very well. The box looks very polished.

There is room for more select advertising. Some ideads:
    * reserved overhead bin space for sponsored brands
    * luggage companines selling fee waivers on one airline (they already sell this for credit cards)
    * product placement on alcohol (e.g. announcing bud light vs. Teling people to look in the magazine. Perhaps a happy hour for sponsored drinks

20. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Honestly except in International J, I wouldn't have a problem with this. Ok maybe international Y too. But on a domestic flight, I read, I watch movies on my iPad, I'm looking everywhere but at the interior of the plane. I'm used to seeing ads on the subway, on the bus, now in lots of cities there's ads in the taxis, on little monitors near the credit card swipe box. It doesn't detract from the taxi experience to see an ad for Red Bull or Outback Steakhouse as long as I can turn the volume off. If US wants to sell ad space in the planes, I'm ok with that as long as it's print/pictures and not sound. If it keeps another fare hike from happening, I wouldn't complain. I'd mock it a bit because it is a little tacky but considering my seat mate last week on UA kept digging up his nose like he expected to find Jimmy Hoffa in there, the domestic flight experience is already pretty tacky. I'm used to tacky.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  21. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    And they wonder why people don't pay any attention to the flight attendants? "We're here for your safety and comfort." Sure, sure. Would you like fries with that? :(

Kevincm, Scottrick and uggboy like this.
  22. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    People are always shocked when I tell them I refuse to fly Ryanair...

Kevincm likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Airlines already have plenty of ads in that inflight magazine, and it wouldn't shock me to learn if some of the articles involved product placement as well. No one seems to be concerned about that as it is a place where one would commonly expect ads, but as you said, there are nowadays plenty of ads in subway trains etc., and frankly, for many people a plane trip is not all that different from a (long) ride on a subway. Nothing really glorious about it.

24. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Aday's stage name is Meat Loaf, so it would be "Mr. Loaf."

Kevincm likes this.
  25. Kevincm
    Original Member

Kevincm Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are "Carrier of Last Resort". Or "I'll take the coach". Let me put it like this. After fees and such, FR only works out a few pennies cheaper to the next carrier. Which happens to be Aer Lingus on the BHX-DUB run.

Guess who I travel with when heading over to the Emerald Isle ;)

Alas, the spray of adverts on an Ryanair service (and they're littraly anywhere) makes US Airways looks tame with the snackbox thing...

Ahh. Mr Loaf. Would you care to buy some candy bars to support US Airways? Only $5 a pack.... ;)