US Mint Coins- Safe to use Banks/CC List

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by MLW20, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've only ordered coins from the US Mint once or twice but I want to try to make some use of this deal.
    I know that some people's cards have been closed by Chase. Can we start a list of banks that are safe to use for the mint deal? In this list we would need to know what banks will count the coins as a purchase & not a cash advance and also banks that will not want to ban us for too many purchases.

Any important US Mint info would be of great help!

Thank you all in advance.

2. danny
    Original Member

danny Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would actually be easier to list banks that are not safe to use since the majority of banks out there are "safe to use".

Freddie Listo likes this.
  3. This is a terrible idea. DO NOT POST CARDS THAT WORK. You're just asking to have this deal shut down. A little common sense goes a long way.

4. BeachMiles
    Original Member

BeachMiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go ahead. please list the banks that are not safe.

Horse likes this.
  5. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why is a list of banks/ cards that work looking for trouble? From what I understand, most banks do work but I know that Chase does not. I am just looking to see if this has been true for most taking part in the coins...

6. Chase works for me...but I am a rookie with the coin purchases!

MLW20 likes this.
  7. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This exact issue has been addressed in the master "coin" thread.

Suggest we keep everything there.

8. mrpickles
    Original Member

mrpickles Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is not going to get the deal shut down, the only thing that will happen is that the bank credit cards that are now working will 1) start charging a cash advance fee; 2) close customers accounts for activity that is in violation of the cardmember agreement; 3) or allow purchases with no reward points or miles accrual. The ability to purchase the coins online will still be there, so why ruin the ability to purchase and get points.

A lot of the ability to get this works is how STRONG your credit relationship is with your bank. Factors that are considered include:

1) how long you have been a customer
    2) total credit line
    3) credit score
    4) outstanding debt
    5) ability to pay back the money

You can pretty much conclude that if you have any card other than a US Bank FlexPerks card, and one other obscure card that I can't remember right now, that it will work to earn reward points.

So lets stop trying to list the hundreds of cards that do work and just use some common sense.

Just list the ones that you personally have knowledge that do not work. Oh, and please click the "like" icon below.

9. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    OP- Please consider closing this thread. You're just asking for trouble. Post a list of banks that don't work instead.

10. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    echoing the comments of many in this thread. the cards that don't work are in the main Coin Thread. no need to list every single imaginable card out in use today. there could be hundreds of card variations. not to be rude, but this thread is pretty much unnecessary. there is a FAQ post in the Coin Thread for a reason. ;)

buschoi and RonF like this.
  11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed...common rule of thumb has been to NOT POST CARDS THAT WORK.

Tim O'Brien and k2o like this.
  12. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    chase works for me too

13. Astrophy
    Original Member

Astrophy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will back you on the part about the chances of the deal getting shut down due to people posting what card is working for them. I don't think you are going to see any type of fees here... either they are going to let you do it or they are going to close your account. Before December 2009 when deal hit the newspaper circuit... I had conversations with American Express CSRs who were fully aware of the deal and said they thought it was a clever idea. There is a certain audience I'm sure that the CC company would not feel comfortable spending thousands of dollars on coins, but then there are people that pay their balance off in full every month and who will never do a transfer balance... these are the people who make the company money based on spend.

I do work for any CC company or the US Mint and I do not pretend to know what will happen with all of this... there are people out there that will claim they have some inside info. If there is a card that suddenly does not work you will know about it quickly on the threads and for at least a week people will be going nuts with their own personal theory about how the Mint deal is going to be dead in a matter of days and a few people saying I TOLD YOU SOOOOO!!! =P

14. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My purpose was not to have people list every card that worked.. I probably worded my post wrong. It was more like which do not work. I thought that I had head that Chase was not an option for coins... I have not really been a player with the coins asides from a purchase or 2 a couple years back...
    I will head over to the coins thread and start reading there to get more info.

Thanks for all of the responses

15. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    OP - you are new to this, please do not start something that is going to potentially ruin to process[​IMG]

16. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to yet another Mint thread that will meander aimlessly.

FlyingVizzer and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  17. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Isnt that what they're supposed to do?

18. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some Chase accounts have been closed because of abusive coin purchase. Some Amex members have received FR's for the same reason. At what level these actions are triggered is hard to pinpoint.

MLW20 likes this.
  19. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I thought that I read that Chase was a no no for coins.

20. swisshera
    Original Member

swisshera Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think MINT was on until someone was doing coin runs like crazy and there was this article on WSJ because of that - the deal was OUT but it is back again. So please don't ruin this..

21. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to close this thread? Not to offend the OP...but I agree that very little good will come with the inevitable arguments and finger pointing this thread will ignite. Keep the unusable card information in the Mint thread.

2c

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  22. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Not exactly correct. Back a year or so ago they allowed you to order 99 boxes of coins as often as you liked. Due to various news articles etc., the Mint changed their policy to 4 boxes ($1K) per 10 days. They also added the "intended purpose" statement and agreement to the order forms.

Agree that this thread should be closed and all Mint / coin discussions should be kept in the main thread.

23. FlashBack
    Original Member

FlashBack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Let me make a correction to your correction. The limit was not 99 boxes. I don’t know what the maximum was but it was at least 200 boxes.

24. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you considered editing your original post then?

25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If enough agree, I can contact one of the admin guys and ask to have this closed.