US Metal Pricing!

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by kwidhalm, Mar 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am I the only one that thinks that US Air pricing has hit the insane mark? They used to be competitive with most other airlines and I would fork over the extra $50 or so but now we are talking an additional $350.

2. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    It really depends a lot on the route and timing of your purchase. I still see fares that are the same or lower for most of my trips. One thing that is usually worth checking when US pricing is high is to see if you can get US metal booked through United. I've saved a ton of money that way the last year.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    MikeLaw that is a fabulous idea! I am assuming that it will say "operated by USAir" just like US does.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I forget the exact wording, but it is very clear on united's web site.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jerseychris1
    Original Member

jerseychris1 Active Member

Status Points:
    I've booked US tickets on UA's website too...I think you just have to make sure that you check the box to search *A partners.

6. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    yesterday i looked to book CLT to EWR for a trip that is over 2 weeks away. $1200.00 I thought there was a system error, nope.

LGA was less than $300' but I need to be way out in Northern NJ, so that is a hassle..

Anyway, could someone help a not so noobie understand this? If a flight shows as "United, operated by US" does that mean it is the same as actually flying on US? IE, I get to pick my seat FOC, could be upgraded as usual, luggage is free, etc etc etc?

I have never had a good understanding of what beenies "transferred" from one airline to another in Star Alliance, and would appreciate a 101 primer. Ohh - and please speak sloooowly and without lots of acronyms...I am not the brightest light in the tanning bed!

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jerseychris1
    Original Member

jerseychris1 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes, operated by US means that it's a United ticket but the flight is actually on US metal. You should be able to select your seat when you book the ticket. I usually book the ticket on UA, input my dividend miles number at booking and then go to the US website to make seat changes. I've read that upgrades on US only go to people that book through US, but I've had my upgrades clear with no problems. As for reciprocal benefits, take a look here > http://www.staralliance.com/en/benefits/gold-silver-status/.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly US mostly GIG-MIA. The Envoy price is consistently half or less the competitors. Thus, i accept US inferior hard and soft product quite happily. I know the pricing is route specific, GIG-CLT is usually far more than GIG-CLT-MIA

10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed an uptick in US pricing for sure. I used to be able to get several US routes for under 300-400 that now seem to be 600+ regardless of advanced booking time. I've also noticed that some increased price pressure from CO/UA (likely due to the merger completion moving farther along) and hub attacks have many CO/UA fares looking more attractive than US fares. I'm hoping that US will focus on staying competitively priced, otherwise they may be likely to loose a bunch of fliers that are not US captives.

11. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    The majority of my flights this year are on UA/CO aside from 3 flights on US metal. Like anyone else I would like US metal for the udu's but is it really worth the extra $200-300? In my book it isn't worth it. When it's all said and done I have no desire to spend an additional $2000 this year just for the upgrades. I'm perfectly fine in coach but that's me.

Kate :)

12. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. You check in with US, and they follow all of their usual policies. It is more or less the same as if you bought the ticket from Expedia or Orbitz or any other third party seller, it just happens that the third party is another airline in this case.

If you are Star Silver, you get priority standby, meaning that if a flight is oversold or you are trying to wait for an available seat, you are ensured to get seated ahead of those with no status.

If you are Star Gold, you get that as well as priority check-in, priority baggage handling, better baggage allowance, priority boarding and lounge access for you and a guest. The devil is in the details, however. Some airlines give you different priorities and access to the lounge is limited by US partners. If you have specific questions, one of us will be happy to try to tackle them.