US gates at LGA w DL expansion

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Dec 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what gates US will operate it's Shuttle and hub flights from once DL expands into Terminal C at LGA in 2012.

2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The airline probably doesn't even know yet. I would wait a little longer for this information to be published.

3. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read that they're keeping 6-9 gates in Terminal C (Their terminal) and getting a new US Club, probably as Delta is taking the one there now. My guess would be that Delta will want to bring their shuttle over to them, and push the US Shuttle to the Marine Air Terminal, but that's just a guess.

4. bna_based

bna_based Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahhh, another reason to avoid LGA ..

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should be enough room at the MAT for the US shuttle and hub flights. Question is, is their enough room for a club over there?

6. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sean Colahan likes this.
  7. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine they'd have to move some concessions to find space for a new club on that end though.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    It will be interesting to have the US pier sandwiched between two Delta piers.

Dreamworks likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

The MAT is one of the greatest things about LGA. Why would you avoid it if that were the gates US got??

10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta has said that they are keeping the BOS, DCA & ORD shuttle flights at the MAT. I think US keeps half of its existing terminal, and DL will use the other half, with a connecting bridge to be built to DL's existing terminal. It does seem like an awkward arrangement for a 'hub' but I think DL's focus is on O/D traffic, not connecting traffic.

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    DL is definitely keeping the Marine Air Terminal for its Shuttle operations under the current plans. DL views the MAT as a competitive advantage for shuttle service (though a hassle to have a non-contiguous terminal).

Regarding the additional club at Terminal C, don't forget about building up. That is how the Terminal B, Concourse D Aadmirals Club was built.

Where did you read this? My understanding was DL was moving into the portion of Terminal C closest to Terminal D.

Regardless of where DL gets in Terminal C, the entry area to the connecting bridge is already ready in Terminal D....it is right next to the new Sky Club entrance.

12. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    It makes sense that US would keep the western end of the terminal and give over their current shuttle gates to Delta for their use, as it's the closest spot to Terminal D. So now I wonder if they will keep their club and Delta will build a new one, or if they will build one further down the concourse. Up would be nice for views at least. Nothing like Rikers on a crisp winter day.

NYBanker and Sean Colahan like this.
  13. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As someone who has never flown DL from the MAT, I'm curious as to what makes it so great/what the competitive advantage is over the rest of the airport?

Sean Colahan likes this.
  14. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Advantage is that the terminal is on the other side of the airport. It's about 5 minutes closer to manhattan. Most shuttle flights are only about 30 minutes wheels up to wheels down, so the 5 minutes is a big deal. US has more relaxed cuttoff times for the shuttle and uses rear stairs to deplane in addition to the jetbridge to save time as well.

15. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    From what I have heard, US is keeping 4 to 6 gates in the west wing (NOT the current shuttle wing), with one being an express gate capable of handling up to 5 express flights. This comes from a friend who is an ops supervisor at LGA. Not sure where they can put a club, but I guess building up is one option. The existing US club will in fact become a Sky Club for DL, and they are building a walkway between C and D terminals.

The original plan was for US to move entirely to the MAT, but in the second iteration of the planned swap, DL would keep the MAT, and US would keep a handful of gates in Terminal C as described above, which is what has in fact happened.

While the final layout may change, I think this is the best information available right now, and is up to date as of Monday.

Happy Holidays y'all....

16. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks a lot Art234!

I'm curious as to where they will put the new US club. One possibility is building it one floor above the gates (like one of the US Club in PHL F, or like one of the President's clubs in EWR. Not sure how much structural work would need to be done, and that would be tricky to do while continuing daily operations. They could also potentially shrink the ceiling height of the food court and make the US club right above the food court.