US *G on UA

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by nemesis, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. nemesis

nemesis Active Member

Status Points:
    United doesn't give free upgrades to E+ to US *G the way they do for their own customers, but sometimes the kiosk gives me a free E+ upgrade if seats are available. Does this also work for online check-in? What's the best way to maximize this? I've realized there's no way I'll get a free upgrade to business or first, but I'll certainly take more legroom (and laptop room) if I don't have to pay for it.

I asked the United customer service counter about benefits, and, for domestic flights, all *G gets me is free baggage, the priority security line, and priority boarding. For international, it's that plus lounge access. Am I missing anything?

2. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's pretty much it. Do note, however, that most international lounges offer quite a bit more than a few free Bud lites and muffins. ;)

3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you're missing anything. Just be glad that UA actually recognizes your *G status (unlike for me: you can see my whining about it in this thread here :))

I'm not sure there is a way to "maximize" getting bumped into E+, and I don't think online check-in factors into it. I think their official policy is that *G status does not give you upgrade privileges, but sometimes you can get lucky if they are oversold in economy and you might get bumped up.

A couple years ago my wife and I were flying HKG-SGN on UA, and she was a *G (US Chairman's) at the time. We were booked in E-, but they were oversold in Economy, so when we checked in we were bumped into Business because of her status...but I don't think it's an official benefit or policy, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    And that's the way I like it. If there were reciprocal upgrade privileges, then we'd have a horde of UA/CO elites who will be crowding in on our 12/16 F seats (unless they get processed after US Silvers which might be ok).

5. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's UA's policy when the entire Y cabin is oversold and all of their own elites are already upgraded, and all mileage upgrades or other supported have cleared, to then begin upgrading *G's for free. I do not know how they prioritize the *G operational upgrades, but they'll only upgrade as many *G's as seats they need in Y. You and your wife got incredibly lucky!!!

desert_gecko likes this.
  6. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a United Express flight (CR7) from PHX to LAX last weekend and a day before departure the entire E+ section opened up for me online (the green shading over the E+ section disappeared). I thought it might have something to do with my *S status, but it turns out I didn't even have my US # on my ticket. I guessing it was just due to the flight being nowhere close to full.