US forces 2 F pass riders to change clothes

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by kellio, Apr 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. I've been on US F plenty of times in jeans and a t-shirt (last time was Wednesday and will do so again Monday) and never saw anything like this.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I will say whoever gave them the reduced rate tickets are in trouble if they were on buddy passes!!!

PointHoarder and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. cliburn
    Original Member

cliburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    They don't mention there were on an employee buddy pass to the very end..... That seems to be a critical piece of info.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed it seems to be implied that they were?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    It states they were on reduced rate travel and the written statement from US, while difficult to see, states they are pass riders.

Flyer1976 and LETTERBOY like this.
  7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The video report mentions the buddy passes. It's policy for buddy passes, not race. They weren't discriminated against, they were asked to conform to the buddy pass policy (which whomever gave them the passes should have informed them about).

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that's US buddy pass policy. I've flown on UA premium cabins a bunch of times as NRSA and although I try to look 'presentable' I rarely wear a collar shirt or dress slacks. I've never worn shorts but I almost never travel without sneakers and nobody has ever approached me about it.

LETTERBOY, Flyer1976 and gleff like this.
  9. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And to sue over being asked to change clothes prior to boarding? Even if other people in the cabin weren't dressed all that nicely ('being singled out')? Seems a bit much aside from it not having anything whatsoever to do with race.

LETTERBOY, Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah that sounds pretty ridiculous. The one rule of using buddy passes is 'play along' as far as I've been told... don't make a scene and wait your turn, since you're not entitled to much. Hell, if they say they only had food for the other passengers you just grin and bear it -- although that's never happened to me :)

Either way though, we might not have the whole story so time will tell. I don't know as I said if this is indeed US policy or even if it is if the GA decided to selectively enforce it that time because of their race.

LETTERBOY, icurhere2 and gleff like this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There IS a dress code policy for NRSA Leisure Travel and it varies from airline to airline and is contingent on the cabin they are flying. What shocks me the most is that they were able to score First Class on US Airways as a Buddy Pass!!!

skyvan and gleff like this.
  12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Well US Airways has said that they were enforcing the policy, and there's nothing that's been reported which casts doubt on that.

The second thing, though -- selective enforcement -- is a different issue. It may well be that not every agent at every station enforces this. But there's nothing at all which suggests anyone else was allowed to board this flight in first class on a buddy pass without meeting dress standards (that these individuals were singled out on the flight in a discriminatory way). There's not even the allegation of such -- only that other passengers not on a buddy pass to whom the rules didn't apply were allowed to travel in less formal attire.

Could it be theoretically possible that this gate agent, or even a group of gate agents, selectively enforce the policy against people of a specific background? Well, we have no reason to suspect that. It hasn't been reported that even the plaintiffs allege this. There is nothing in the record to suggest it. So I wouldn't 'reserve judgment' on that until there was at least a claim with some support which suggested it! :)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew US earlier this year in a t-shirt, sandals and athletic shorts. Though I'm not sure about buddy pass rules ( I was obviously on an award ticket) this seems like US may be paying up in the near future.

MX likes this.
  14. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The event in question was also 8 months ago - the person offering the pass to the buddies may well already be gone from US.

15. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I highly doubt this guys are suffering emotional distress. If buddy pass policy states a dress code, then where is the discrimination? It would be nice if people from other races stepped forward saying they were treating the same when traveling on a buddy pass.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not US's fault if these guys didn't know the rules for traveling on buddy passes.

17. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. The buddy pass rules are clear and are applied to all users. These guys just saw another couple of guys in similar attire and assumed they were being singled out. The other guys were in the cabin via either revenue or miles or they would not have been there.

IDGflygirl and LETTERBOY like this.
  18. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does "sense of entitlement" occur here? Lucky enough to get a buddy pass, lucky enough to score first class and then sue b/c you don't know or care about the rules? Really?

flyforawg and LETTERBOY like this.
  19. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    If not already gone, he'd be first on my list for rationalization after the merger.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  20. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a roommate that worked for US Air back when they had a DC HQ. On trip his wife got drunk and nasty on a morning flight in first on a buddy pass (with him) and he seriously feared for his job for a bit...

flightnurse and LETTERBOY like this.
  21. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh - airlines have specific and strict dress requirements when flying on buddy passes. Whoever gave these guys the passes should have told them that. I guess they're not going to get the benefit anymore with the lawsuit.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do I understand it correctly that US has different dress codes for different types of tickets? If so, it would be unwise for them to attract any more attention to such stupid rules. Furthermore, if the court should decide that company rules violate some equal protection laws, it can order an even greater punishment.

SM105 likes this.
  23. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    The rules are for discounted tickets that employees can give to friends and family. An employee at UA many years ago gave some tickets to a friend of mine to help him and his wife get from Brazil to Chicago. Total ticket cost was maybe a hundred dollars.

On these types of tickets, if space is available in empty premium cabins, upgrades can be applied. However, the rule was they had to wear more formal clothing. No sandals or shorts, shirts with collars for men, etc. The fares associated with these tickets are considered benefits and are subject to conditions. So, these lawsuit happy friends or family of some employee probably put him in pretty hot water with US and are jeopardizing a perk of thousands of airline employees. Either way, they put their friend or family member in a pretty awkward position which could end up with him losing his job.

If the courts go crazy and fine US, I'd imagine airline employee benefits will be severely curbed or maybe restricted to only employees. I personally don't feel requiring people receiving such a great benefit to adhere to a dress code is asking all that much.

estnet, IDGflygirl, MX and 1 other person like this.
  24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still can't find any US policy that specifies the travel dress code for pass riders. Delta's relaxed policy has been public knowledge for a while now, and I can't find a mention of any dress code for pass riders on UA, on any cabin, albeit I have to assume that it's the same as the standard CoC... nothing indecent, no bare feet, etc.

25. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If buddy passes are internal for airline employees, why would the airlines make their policies relating to them public? :confused: