US flights with codeshare connections

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by Saracen, May 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have three trips to the US coming up but all to cities SQ don't serve. Unfortunately, I've found no way to get decent quotes from their website. The moment a connection on a partner airline is added (usually Virgin America), the ticket price shoots up from ~S$3000 to ~S$8000. This is for a JFK-IAD or JFK-BOS flight of only 200 miles. How does this make any sense?! I realise I could book separate tickets myself, which I have done in the past, but that safety net of having an internal transit on the same ticket as the arrival flight is pretty important in the US with immigration being sometimes unpredictable. Am I missing something here?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    SQ cannot do within-the-US service; in fact, no intl carrier can, which means that int'l and local itineraries are under completely different "jurisdictions" and logistics. The price difference is a clear attempt to discourage folks from trying to merge the two. IMHO, "the safety net of having an internal transit on the same ticket" is not worth it and seems like fluff. It makes little sense to book an intl flight with travel that goes beyond the port of entry on the same ticket. It will always be cheaper and there will be infinitely more options in splitting the intl from any travel that happens beyond the point of entry. I usually find it quite convenient to just redeem miles to do all the internal travel.

3. Saracen
    Original Member

Saracen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems odd though; TAs can book SQ segments on the same ticket as internal AA/DL segments. Yes, they're not as cheap as booking the internal flights yourself, but still. The current setup on the SQ website is outrageous and just not worth it.