US delayed/lost luggage - 6am delivery?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by cmj542, Feb 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. cmj542
    Original Member

cmj542 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So US Airways lost track of my luggage on my flight yesterday. I reported it at approx 7pm and told me they would get my luggage to me that night, once they located it. The customer service lady said they would call me to schedule delivery. I waited until midnight and heard nothing.

I was woken up at 6am by my phone ringing and the luggage delivery guy telling me he is waiting outside my door with my luggage. Do they usually at least attempt to schedule it beforehand? A 6am delivery seems kind of ridiculous (considering there was no attempt to schedule or notify ahead of time). Your thoughts?

**side note, as a US Gold who flies quite often, I've been pretty disappointed by US Airways lately. Both my flight there and back were delayed more than 3 hours. Seems like no trip I've taken lately w/ US Airways has gone smoothly. Don't even get me started about the conditions of those planes.

2. safetymom
    Original Member

safetymom Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was awakened once at 3 AM by the delivery guy outside my house. I had no clue they were going to do this. When the phone rings at 3 AM I am not thinking it is my luggage. :(

3. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its been years since I've had anything lost and both times it was when I was returning home. Once with Northwest and I can't remember the other time. I don't recall any phone calls just a knock on the door. I think it was pretty late at night.

4. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    On the flipside, it is fantastic they got the lost bags delivered to the above posters so quickly. A little more in the way of specifics would have been nice and perhaps waiting until 7am or 8am may have made more sense. But middle of the night courier delivery can't be cheap - I would actually want this service if I were away from home at a hotel.

5. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Also keep in mind, in many cities, the people who deliver the luggage are not US employees but rather subcontractors and local courier services; they may pick up your bags at 10pm along with 40 other bags to deliver around your metro area. Like anything else, they'll be routed based on what's most logical to get everything delivered and not on what's most convenient for any one customer. If you're staying in a hotel you can request that they leave the bags at the hotel and give the number of the hotel front desk if they have to contact someone for drop-off. You'll have your bags in the morning and not get woken up.

The one time we had a baggage delivery from US, we wanted to go to sleep and were just getting ready to leave a note on the door approving them to leave the bags there (heck, i don't really care if someone steals my dirty laundry although I would prefer not to have my suitcase stolen) but the courier showed up just as I was locking up, so I can't 100% say they will deliver without a person there to accept the bag.

6. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    They will leave the bags on your porch if you leave them a note, although they will generally call your phone first, so be sure to turn it off. This may vary from city to city, since they do use local subs for this function.

7. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My gut tells me that you are checking bags through Philly. I used to have this experience frequently when I checked bags through Philly (which I never do anymore, having learned better a few years back). They would often deliver the bags between midnight and 5am, usually calling my phone right as they arrived to drop them at door. I also agree with Patti that the people dropping the bags are almost always subcontracted couriers rather than US employees. I have to say, though, that I have had to check bags through Philly recently, and they did not lose my bag. Gotta love progress ;)

8. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I once had a bag left in the middle of the night - as far as I can tell, they didn't try to call me or ring the bell, just left the bag on the porch. I was happy to see the bag when I opened the door in the morning, but wasn't so happy that it had been sitting out in the rain for hours.

9. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes I agree with you ArizonaGuy. I live in an area that typically means that I am the last delivery on the truck because we are about 30 miles from the airport. I'm just happy that I don't have to go back to the airport to collect the bags. And yes, ours are delivered by a contracted service. Even if the bags come in on the next flight of the night, I typically do not receive them mid-day to mid-afternoon of the next day. Such is life in a small town.

10. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not actually restricted to just small towns. Although it was a different airline, I had my baggage lost in the hub, and it was not delivered until 10:30 pm Christmas Eve, 3 days after arrival. And even then it was a courier service, not an actual airline employee. And this was after they found the bag in the morning.

11. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    To the OP: Yes, it is unacceptable.

No, I am not surprised. Couriers rank with tradespeople and taxi drivers in my estimation of those who make your life more delayed, unproductive, and generally stressful.

12. bsaced
    Original Member

bsaced Silver Member

Status Points:
    Continental lost my luggage yesterday morning on my flight to Bos that arrived at 9:30am. I got a call that woke me up at 11pm last night saying they could be here to drop it off at 2am. I said "could you come back later in the morning". They replied they would drop it off btw 8am -12pm. We shall see what happens. Is there any compensation by the airline for lost/delayed luggage or should I just be happy I get it back in the end?