US Credit Card Billing Address - some questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Gaucho, Aug 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still retain a US issued credit card which I use for online purchases... this allows me to shop at sites that dont normally accept a non US credit card. Today, I tried to buy a couple of things from the Toys R US website, but at checkout it tells me that my credit card billing address does not match their records... I know this to be incorrect (ie. Im sure I know my billing address for this card).... plus, I placed another 3 (three) orders at other vendors with the same card and same billing information, and all those went through perfectly.

Any ideas...? Maybe Toys R US uses a different service to verify addresses and mine has some sort of typo...? Anybody have a similar experience with this vendor...?

Thanks,
    Alex / Gaucho100K

2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd try again in a day or so - could be a temporary glitch in the data, or a formatting issue in how the address is in there.

Gaucho likes this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... I dont have the luxury of time because the stuff had a deadline to get to LA.... hmmm, maybe I will call their customer service department and look into this... any tips on what angle to work with these people...? Also, as to the data glitch... I assume that Toys R US doesnt run their own database, dont they check these things online and in real time with the Banks database...?

Furthermore, if my latter statement is true... how could it be that only one vendor has an issue with my billing address... as I say above, Ive used it at at least another 4 vendors with no issues... very strange....

4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe they've had a lot of fraud when the billing and shipping address differ - just a thought. Also, make sure you didn't accidentally reverse them.

Of course, I may be just blowing gas out the poto, but I'm trying to help :)

Gaucho likes this.
  5. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Take a GasX pill... they work wonders. No, I didnt reverse the addresses.... do you think its worth it to call these people...? I can also call my Bank, but heck if the other vendors dont have an issue... grrr, darned fraudsters, its all their friggen fault... :mad:

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It might help to see if the difference could be that some computer somewhere has converted your address(es) to the official US Postal Service conventions regarding abbreviations, etc., including giving you a nine-digit zip code. Certain web sites do this now, including when one applies for Global Entry. I've had issues buying gas because some computers insist on a nine-digit zip code that I've never seen. A human might be able to see that it's obviously the same address and override the matching requirements, so I would suggest calling the merchant if possible and even placing the order by phone if web support can't solve the problem.

Gaucho likes this.
  7. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent points... thanks. I will call these guys and report back....