US code share, UA operated, UA 1P, Upgrade eligible

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by prncess674, Apr 25, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I booked an itinerary via my firm's booking tool and booked the US code share operated by UA and didn't think much of it since it was a UA flight. I knew it was probably bad when .bomb wouldn't show me a seat map. Am I eligible for UDU on this intinerary? I did call and was assigned E+, so they have my MP number in the reservation.

2. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically no, UA excludes codeshares booked on UA. If you see upgrade pending on your res it means you have been added to the list. You also can add yourself to the list at the airport. You can try calling the elite line and asking them to add you, but that has been YMMV.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    CO-coded flights should be excepted from this exclusion; other codes, not so much.

4. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are not listed as such on UA.com, that being said the UA website is not known for its accuracy.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It is a relatively recent change to the rules (within the past month, I'd say). It worked quite well for me last week on the CLE-ORD-SEA-SFO-LAX-IAD chunk of my itinerary.

6. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, I had CO booked UA operated codeshares in Jan when I did a bunch of those LAX-DEN trips via ORD/CLE and all of my upgrades cleared without any issues as a CO Platinum... Sometimes it would clear at the 3 day window, sometimes hours before departure, and sometimes at the airport....

But in the OP's case with US booked UA operated codeshare :(

7. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    My latest experience with codeshares indicates they can clear the UDU process like normal bookings. I have a segment on Wednesday on CO, booked as part of an AC ticket, AC flight number on CO metal. Called CO last week to pick a seat on their segment and to have my CO number put onto the file and after she did that I went online to check the booking on the CO site where it now showed with the CO flight number. Checked this morning and my Plat status upgrade to F had been confirmed. Usually such codeshares don't upgrade until 24-hours prior when the codeshare converts to the metal carriers flight number, and then the UDU would be processed.

So next week at this time I will see if some CO codeshare flights on UA metal will do the same thing and upgrade at the elite tier window instead of at the 24-hour window.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This is not the case with CO. On CO, regardless of the marketing carrier, CO has the flight in their system on the CO code and processes the upgrades normally.

They should, but on UA metal it only works if the code is UA or CO. This is different than on CO metal as noted above.

9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification. Trying to get the hang of how CO works and the gradual integration of the two.