US border authority seeks travellers' social media details

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jun 28, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    US border authority seeks travellers' social media details

mevlannen likes this.
  2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why don't they just ask NSA ? :) Given that majority of people use aliases, and fictional monikers, what good would it do ?

mevlannen and uggboy like this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing what people post on Tweeter and Facebook,

mevlannen and uggboy like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And a lot of Facebook users only log in rarely, and never changed their privacy settings... so someone else could friend them, post jihadi stuff on their page, and when the finally log on and see it, they won't know that they can delete it. Easyn way for the bad guys to create many thousands of false positives and screw up the system.

mevlannen, uggboy and anileze like this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't live in America, and there's not much reason for me to want to keep on dealing with the increasing intensity of officialdom, for what's (after all!) discretionary vacation travel.

Some years ago, I used social media as a means of keeping in touch with old friends from school and church. Baby pictures, talking about our gardens, stuff like that. That was fine while it lasted, and then the Internet started to get creepier, and more invasive, with X-rated spam and blinking pop-up adverts and the like.

I am far from being the only woman in my network of friends, who has concluded that social media simply aren't worth the hassle any more.

If one of the big hulking body-armored border guards accosts me about use of the Internet, well, I suppose that I shall simply ask **him** to tell **me**, as I am sure that there's one or another agency that remembers where we were all exchanging baby-pictures and gardening-notes.

-- because I've already forgotten what the accounts were and where, let alone passwords, and I have no interest in rejoining those things.

(she waves to Mr Trump and Mr Putin and their henchmen, who are probably reading everything on Milepoint anyway....)

anileze, uggboy and ACMM like this.