US at LGA (and the AA merger)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Canadi>n, Nov 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have always looked longingly at the modern, airy US Terminal as the M60 pulls into LGA and drops me at the dumpy main terminal building where I fly AC, AA or UA, wondering if it was really a nicer environment than the one I was "enjoying". All wings at the main terminal are dumps and have some of the slowest TSA lines in the country (rivalled only by those in the C terminal wings at EWR*). The UA lounge used by UA and AC (it was the old CO lounge) is landslide, so hard to relax knowing what lies ahead to get to the gate (no TSA PreCheck as yet). And flying AA commuter flights means the Admirals Club is in another wing of the terminal requiring a double dose of TSA and long lines and waits.

So with the merger I had looked forward to the possibility that AA would move over into the US terminal...until I did a search here to discover two years ago DL moved some flights and took over a number of gates there. Even assuming DL moved into AA's space in the main terminal, and a rationalization of duplicate flights between AA and US took place, would there be enough space for the merged carrier to operate out of the US terminal? Since I've never been through it, I only know it can't be as bad as the main terminal.

Would appreciate some informed speculation from my new brothers and sisters who fly US. (I have flown US a few times over the past couple of years, so for the most part have positive impressions though not glowing. Did like the international Presidents Club at PHL...and the CLT one isn't too bad. Really like the bags of multigrain chips and containers of salsa! Hope we see them soon in the Admirals Clubs.)

* Why is it the major city in the USA has two of the worst airports on the planet (JFK is getting its act together, but $5 to get to the Metro is scandalous!)? And after 12 years they haven't figured a way to get us between terminal piers without having to re-clear security!

2. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I don't think there is enough room for a combined AA/US in Terminal C due to Delta's massive expansion. AA invested a lot in refurbishing the D gates and the new Admirals Club in the main terminal, so my money stays on the combined airline staying where it is. I really don't know why they don't have an inside-security shuttle between C and D gates, but they really should. Also, for what it's worth, there is Pre Check at the C-gates, I used it there last Saturday.

3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    The US terminal at LGA is nice. There is a lot of renovation going on post the DL slot swap, but it has gotten much busier. I like the lounge at D, but the transfer is tricky. I think there was talk about creating access to the United club from the Airside of concourse C of Terminal B, but not sure where that is.

What I think makes the most sense is to have UA move to the US gates on Terminal C and have US move to the UA gates on concourse C of Terminal B, and AA can have all of concourse C and D in Terminal B (using letters for both concourses and terminals is a dumb move by the port authority. Numeric terminal would have removed much of the confusion.)

DL won't move, they have a connected terminal large enough for most of their operation. Its still a split operation with the DL shuttle out of the marine air terminal.

If there is no move, and the newAmerican needs to operate a split operation at LGA, I could see them keeping the Shuttle (BOS/DCA) and adding ORD (which DL markets as their shuttle) to the US gates, while moving the CLT, PHL and PIT flights to the AA side.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The UClub moves inside security with some major renovations which are planned for the central terminal. It is a few years off at a minimum. In theory US and UA could trade and then AA would have all of C/D and UA would share with DL. Not sure of the exact numbers of gates though. UA is already spilt between A and C.

Also, I'm pretty sure that CO owned the US teminal. Not sure if they still do.

Finally, avoid the tease (and save 10 minutes) by getting off the bus when it makes the first stop at LGA in front of the cargo lot. It is a 2 minute walk from there in to the Central Terminal.