US - Asia Award Tickets on UA Summer 2013

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by namaste36, May 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. namaste36

namaste36 Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm in need of some assistance booking an award trip this summer. I want to go from BOS to PEK on July 1. Then, after hanging out in China for 10 days, continue down to BKK and spend some time seeing Thailand. At the end of this trip I want to go back BKK to BOS.

Here are my questions:

1. Is is possible to book this RT award in business class for 120K miles (using saver awards)? I've tried booking this through the UA award application and the end result is an award for far more than 120K miles. Is this due to traveling in different award zones (i.e. Northern Asia, Southeast Asia) as UA defines them?

2. When looking at the saver award availability I am seeing none for the month of August. Does UA release award seats as the departure date gets closer? Should I wait to see if something opens up?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

2. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I am not an expert as these sorts of things I would say one reason your award ticket is booking so high is that it is May 13 and you are trying to book something less than 2 months off. Those cheap seats are gone and you are probably lucky to find an award seat in business AND/OR you are traveling during a high season and the saver awards just are not available.

IDGflygirl and edekba like this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly what TB said I think.

It is most likely the dates you want are gone, thus Saver is not available to book.

I just priced it & it came out to below but I picked a random date in Oct with Saver availability.

BOS - SFO - PEK - BKK - NRT - SFO - BOS

1 Award
    120,000 miles

Additional taxes/fees
    $78.50

IDGflygirl likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I checked again; and the problem you are running into is BKK - BOS. the availability like you stated; is very limited.

I did find BKK - NRT // Overnight // NRT - SEA on 7/16. Then you'll have to do SEA - EWR - BOS with an overnight in EWR again.

There are a few other options ... but they're not easy/simple connections.

Some tips
    1) find the date you want (give a few days of wiggle room)
    2) search ICN/NRT/PEK - SFO/LAX/ORD/EWR/IAD/IAH/SEA/SJC/DEN etc
    3) add BKK to ICN/NRT/PEK and xxx to BOS later.

5. namaste36

namaste36 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the advice. I found one saver date from BKK - FRA - BOS on July 23. This is for a OW. Seems like I could book two OW tickets (BOS - IAD - PEK; BKK - FRA - BOS) and then find a separate way from PEK - BKK. Still cuts my journey a bit short since I'd like to stick around in Thailand through August.

edekba likes this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you do BOS - FRA - PEK, PEK - BKK, BKK - FRA - BOS that would work as a RT, then you wont need to find your own way PEK - BKK.

7. SeaRaptor
    Original Member

SeaRaptor Silver Member

Status Points:
    On your selected date of travel (1 July), IAD-PEK still has availability for a business saver award. You could easily fly BOS-IAD-PEK on 1 July on UA metal for 60k miles.

The return is a bit more exciting, as UA seems to put Thailand in a slightly different zone that will require 62.5k miles to come back from. Still, I found availability in TG business on BKK-FRA on 15 July, then with LH on FRA-DTW on 16 July. There is still award space from DTW back to BOS on UA metal that evening.

I don't believe UA's routing rules will allow you to add the PEK-BKK flight to your award because it would then have two stopovers, but the double open jaw is permissible. You'll have to buy that leg yourself or redeem it as a separate award.

Bottom line: you can get there on the date you want, but will have to be creative with the return. TG usually has excellent award availability, so look for something that takes you from BKK back to a European hub (FRA or LHR are best, but even IST wouldn't be bad) and you can likely piece together something.

iolaire likes this.