US Amex Platinum US Airways Gold

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by TAHKUCT, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Received this promo via snail mail:

"In appreciation of your continued Cardmembership, we are pleased to present you with an additional privilege - US AIRWAYS DIVIDENT MILES GOLD PREFEREED STATUS. "

It does appear targeted, but I cannot be 100% sure especially after BMI silver promo :)

Anybody else got this?

I guess this is the only way Amex Cardmembers will be able to access CO/UA lounges, but only when traveling on an international itinerary. US Airways Gold=Star Alliance Gold

infamousdx, mrredskin and techguru like this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool. *A Gold is more than just lounge access, isn't it? IIRC, it gives some bag fee waivers, elite check in lines, elite security lines, and early boarding across the alliance.

3. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you credit to other *A carriers and still utilize your *Gold benefits?

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use the *Gold number at first, then ask the GA to change it just before boarding. I'm not sure whether you can change it back and back again for the return flights, or if it can't be changed on US after part of the itinerary has been flown.

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Will give it a shot. Hopefully will be upgraded to gold in 2 weeks.

8. jammanxc
    Original Member

jammanxc Silver Member

Status Points:
  9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind that the above link is Targeted and people on Flyertalk had no luck to enroll.

10. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. No go for moi.

11. Lantean

Lantean Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite upsetting. What exactly am I paying $450 a year for then? Why am I not targeted? I'm going to give AmEx a piece of my mind and it won't be pleasant.

12. dkelly1110
    Original Member

dkelly1110 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Was this one of the stated benefits when you signed up? I didn't see it.

mrredskin and TAHKUCT like this.
  13. theYipster
    Original Member

theYipster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Targeted indeed. Just tried to sign up with the web-link and was told that the offer was by invitation only. Too bad too, since I used to be a frequent US Airways flier when based out of Pittsburgh early last decade. They are not an airline I'd typically chose to fly by choice, so it would seem I'd be a decent candidate for the promo. Oh well.

14. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent point. I have been a cardemember for many years and this is the first major targeted offer that I have received. However, I do keep my Platinum card mainly because of other benefits and anything extra is always a pleasant surprise :)

dkelly1110 and mrredskin like this.
  15. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    you were paying $450 for all the benefits you have already been getting. i think most on here would agree that free US gold status could easily be worth the annual amex plat fee (more so actually) in itself without any of the other benefits.

16. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    For people who were targeted and enrolled in this promo, please post in this forum once your Gold Status is posted.

17. lwildernorva

lwildernorva Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm a little confused by this argument. When it's time for me to pay my annual renewal fee, I think there is a legitimate question to be asked as to why I'm paying the exact same renewal fee when I got x benefits in the last year as another member who got x + US Gold status. I agree with you that US Gold status is probably worth the amount of the annual fee. That means that those members who get x + US Gold status got a lot more for their money than I did--for the same card.

It's not the promised benefits when I took the card nearly twenty years ago that matter, it's the delivered and available benefits each year when I must make the decision whether or not to pay the annual fee. On a much larger scale, it's eventually why Amex created Centurion: it was Platinum + a whole lot more benefits in order to justify the higher fee. I certainly don't begrudge the Centurion members who got more benefits because it was an entirely different card.

I don't think, however, it's unforeseeable or unreasonable that offering different benefits to holders of the same card might create some bad feelings. While I'm not dumping my Platinum because I wasn't part of the targeted offer, it seems that Amex, while offering great additional services to all of their members ($200 reimbursement, PP lounge access, Global Entry), now seems more aggressively to offer targeted benefits to certain members. US Gold status may not have been part of the benefits offered when I signed up for the card, but neither was PP lounge access for that matter.

That's the point I glean from Lantean's post. And, while this slight discrimination is not enough to make me dump the card now, continuing targeted offers would have a corrosive effect on my decision whether or not to renew the card. I suspect the same could be said of some percentage of Platinum members.

I'm sure Amex has projections on how many members they'll lose by these targeted offers. Amex's policy may partly arise from the new reality that some folks are taking the Platinum card for churning purposes--if you've seen some of the queries regarding the length of time a new cardmember must hold onto the card to keep and use the 50,000 MR points acquired in the recent promotion, you know what I mean. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I'll bet through 2008, the Platinum card had the least turnover of any card out there. Perhaps Amex has decided to put out more targeted offers because they know that this landscape is changing no matter what. I believe it is true, however, that a lot of targeted offers miss their "target" and thus are wasted efforts that don't go towards generating enough good will to offset the ill will felt by those not fortunate enough to receive a particular offer.

18. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI: Amex has been sending Targeted offers since I have become a cardmember in 1993. So this practice is not new, but even though It might upsets you, this is the way they test new benefits, appreciate more valuable cardmembers or force a cardmember to spend more on an Amex card

autolycus likes this.
  19. lwildernorva

lwildernorva Active Member

Status Points:
    I may have been unaware of all of the targeted offers. Doesn't change my mind. As I say, this targeted offer, with a relatively large value to it, seems somewhat out of proportion. For instance, it might be one thing to send a targeted offer to residents of California offering them an offseason benefit in the wine country; offering status on a nationwide airline to certain select members and not program wide makes me wonder why my membership is less valued than others. I don't think that's unreasonable; I also don't expect that Amex is disturbed by my reaction. I'm just a bit surprised that anyone else who did not receive this offer and does not own Amex stock seems unsympathetic to that reaction.

20. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amex has to be kidding itself if they expand targeted offers. For every cardholder that is pleased by an offer, they create annoyance, unhappiness, and disappointment in other cardholders. That sort of antagonism is not a good policy in the long term. Imagine you are a customer service agent and have to explain to a cardholder why they didn't qualify - it really doesn't matter how nice you are, how patiently you explain things, the fundamental disparity in treatment remains. People remember being treated poorly, for many years after the actual missed benefit is forgotten.

Amex has lots of cards, so there is already very clear differentiation between who they consider valuable. Better to create a new product than to weaken support for an existing one.

21. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    any OE for anyone getting this offer for 2012?

22. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice benefit Tahkuct. Congrats on receiving it.

23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was last year. Nothing this year unfortunately :(

24. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    AMEX never targets me for anything.

25. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    A few days ago (maybe 2 weeks) there was a promo for registering your eligible cards for pay over time with a 10k MR bonus. Has anyone had those points post yet?