US Amex Platinum: EMV Chip and Signature Option is Available!

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by TAHKUCT, Nov 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good news to US Amex Platinum cardholders. Amex Platinum can now be requested via CSR with an EMV Chip. It is a chip and signature version.

Just requested my card with a chip and signature option and it is being shipped via UPS!!!

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does chip and signature work overseas? In Norway 7-11 would only accept pin and chip.

It's absolutely ridiculous that US card issuers haven't gotten with the times on this. Even Canada is using pin and chip.

TAHKUCT and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You gotta wonder where the rush of credit card applications to Andrews Federal Credit Union went to. At least there's one financial institution that understands the importance of chip and PIN.

4. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used chip and signature in several European countries without any issue.

Going to Canada tomorrow and will try my Chase chip and signature card there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using milepoint

mht_flyer, LETTERBOY and marcwint55 like this.
  5. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Okay I am new to this Chip and Pin. Amex Platinum Holder, what is the advantage. Never seen the request for it here in the States ( am I clueless :) )

6. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this info Tahkuct.:)

TAHKUCT likes this.
  7. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    After reading the reports on TOBB, I tweeted @AskAmex about this. They indicated that nothing would happen for a few months. :confused::rolleyes: You'd think they'd know about if people were actually able to request EMV-equipped cards.

Does anyone know if the Mercedes Benz platinum is available in a chipped version? And what about EMV versions of other cards (PRG, SPG, etc.)?

mht_flyer and TAHKUCT like this.
  8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is only available on Amex platinum charge cards, I assume the Mercedes version does qualify. No other Amex card is offered with an emv version at the present time as per Amex csr.

I should receive my card on Monday the latest.

PS: just call Amex to confirm that the Mercedes one can be ordered with a chip.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  9. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice!! just ordered one as well

TAHKUCT likes this.
  10. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very simple ordering process

LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Awesome. I will be getting one by the end of the month.

12. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    You probably will get it by Monday via UPS if you ordered it today.

13. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. progapanda

progapanda Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, OP! I'd been waiting for when this option would be available for Platinum cardmembers. I requested a replacement card today myself, and although it took some time for the card services agent to figure out what I was asking for, I should have an EMV-chip embedded card within 48 hours. I'd frequently run into businesses in Europe that declined to accept my magstripe credit card, so this new card will be a welcome addition to my wallet and I can hopefully make better use of the no-forex fees benefit offered by the Platinum card.

LETTERBOY and TAHKUCT like this.
  15. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have received my card yesterday. My card number didn't change.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  16. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just a little story:

Was at a local Walmart (in OKC), and for the first time, the chip port (has a pic of a chipped card) blue light was on! Even upon check out, it says insert card or swipe. Usually it says "swipe" only. So I inserted my Chip & Sig Amex Plat many times but no cigar, had to end up swiping.

ThereseKhu likes this.
  17. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could they have been looking for an RFID chip instead?

ThereseKhu likes this.
  18. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so, but of course no one knows for sure. This picture here (the gray PoS terminal) is the closest thing I can find to what I saw at walmart. It has the RFID reader at the top. I've actually used my Chase Slate RFID card before and it works fine at Walmart and CVS. All I do is barely tap and hold it and it'll charge easily. Then there is the usual swipe. And at the bottom of the gray PoS terminal, you see a slot (can't see in the pic, but i applied an example) with that exact card symbol and two arrows you see in lots of Chip & PIN machines. Usually, the lights are off around it, but it was actually lit up blue. It still didnt work when I inserted it. The cashier had no idea what I was talking about. doesitwork_reader.jpg Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 11.17.11 PM.png

ThereseKhu likes this.
  19. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From your description I think you're probably correct. Maybe Walmart is trying to cater to foreign visitors who have chip and PIN cards though maybe the system isn't active yet. I don't know if chip and signature cards would also be approved in that manner.,, I guess it would have the smarts to ask for a signature instead. Thanks for the heads up, maybe things are actually starting to change in this area. It would be about time!

ThereseKhu and SuperKirby like this.
  20. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    NP. I THINK I read somewhere online they said maybe by 2017 big chain stores are required to have some kind of chip working PoS for foreigners, but definitely don't quote me on that. And I think all major US banks have at least 1 Chip & Sig card now so we're getting somewhat close. Just keep a look out and (and everybody else) let us know what you guys find here in the States!

ThereseKhu likes this.
  21. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if I was allowed to do this, but I took a picture of a Walmart PoS a few mins ago. It always lights up blue now and although blurry, you can see the two arrows and a chipped card picture...still doesn't work, and once again the cashier thought I was nuts...
    2013-04-13 23.37.50.jpg

TAHKUCT and LETTERBOY like this.
  22. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many Wal-mart have those terminals, but one working using chip still to be found.

SuperKirby likes this.