[US] Amex Gold annual fee coming up -- what are my options?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by SFOCanuck, Apr 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SFOCanuck
    Original Member

SFOCanuck Silver Member

My American Express Premier Rewards Gold card is up for renewal, and I'm wondering what my options are. I have almost 70k MR points, and I don't know where I want to transfer them -- ideally I'd like to keep my points in the MR program. Unfortunately, I don't want to pay the $175 annual fee for the privilege.

Anyone know what the options are? Do they commonly lower the fee if you call to cancel? Do I have to actually be willing to go through with it? (I don't want to do this without liquidating my points first...) Do they have a lower-annual-fee card that is still part of the Membership Rewards program? I spend only a few hundred dollars a month on my Amex (most of my spend goes toward the $10k I need to get my bonus 50k AA miles), so I'm probably not an important customer to them.

2. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

They will often lower the fee if you call to cancel. They've completely waived the for me if I haven't used the card a lot and use that as the reason for canceling.

Like any other bluffing though, you do have to be prepared to actually do it.
    TravelingSalesman likes this.