US Airways Trial Preferred – when are status activated?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by OceanTrotter3, Sep 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems that per policy: "Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status." (source)

So if one were to purchase the trial after booking has been made, the status will not be recognized for the upcoming flight (i.e. eligible for upgrades)?

Thanks!

vickers likes this.
  2. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did this. I had a reservation in the system already and enrolled in the Silver Trial program. I wasnt sure how this worked, so I called and confirmed that the status was already in the system for my previously reserved flight. I checked today, and I was able to move to "preferred seats" for $0 cost.

This is the only USAir flight I had booked. I enrolled more for the United Status Match. :)

OceanTrotter3 likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Burning two status match/challenge opportunities in one shot? These are supposed to be once in a lifetime, yours or the airline's. Probably not wise unless you're really old.

4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm moving to United due to cost out of HSV. I have 2trips to CA by the end of the year. Used the USAir status to match to United. I'll then have enough miles from those trips to retain United silver for all of 2015. But United lets you status match every 5 years.

But it works for me.

5. OceanTrotter3

OceanTrotter3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Data point to answer my own question. I started the silver trial the day before travel (less than 24 hours):

- The "s" status was on the account right away.
    - First flight outbound: FC were not available to be selected but instead were available for purchase, even though it's less than 2 days before flight (Preferred Silver's FC eligibility time frame)
    - Second flight outbound: Available exit row seats can be selected
    - First flight return inbound: FC was available to be selected. Interest thing was, I checked for its availability 3 hours or so before flight, and it was wide-open. Yet FC was full on that flight.
    - Second flight inbound: No FC was available, but exit row seats were.

Regarding the second question of whether it will count towards the trial, I'll have to wait and find out.

viguera and vickers like this.
  6. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read on a blog that if you pay for the Silver trial, and end up up with 30,000 miles, you WILL get Chairman's Preferred on US Airways. Can someone confirm/deny?

7. enichols22124

enichols22124 Silver Member

Status Points:
    True, if done in the 90 days. I did a silver match and ended up Gold when I did the trial. I've seen a few blogs on people who ran it out to Chairmans's preferred on a trial. I thought about it, but realized I could re-attain Gold for the following year, but not a Chairman, so I didn't want to have to have a less than graceful hard landing, so I kept it simple. Anyway, the answer is yes.

8. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anyone getting a postal code is invalid message when trying to register for the program?

Probably because I'm from Canada, but postal code matches the one on the account.

Called US Air and the reps. have no idea what I'm talking about.

9. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can get Chairman pretty 'easy' this way. I realized I was reading the 'promo trial' incorrectly, it is that you can buy status now for $X, and if you fly a certain amount of miles/segments within 90 days of that trial, you attain the status listed, regardless of the purchased status level. I was thinking that it was more like the AA challenge..., duh..

Sammich likes this.
  10. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    can I change the aa number to my US air number when I enroll for the challenge even though I book my ticket using AA# and be able to get credit for the challlenge?

11. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I changed all my existing AA reservations originally with my AA number to US Air FFP. Your OW trial status won't show up on AA's side right away though.

12. TRYING2BPLAT

TRYING2BPLAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    what happened if you have upgrade using your AA status using the 500.miles coupon, will they drop you since I will be a silver on US div miles?

13. Smilee
    Original Member

Smilee Silver Member

Status Points:
    From Canada as well. I get the same error. How did you fix that issue? I guess you had to call in?

Sammich likes this.
  14. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to call in for Canada unfortunately. They don't tell you that the site only works for zip codes. Call the Dividend line listed on the U.S. site to get it to work.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014