US Airways to Upgrade First Class Service

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by JohnDeere19, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    via thepointsguy.com

[​IMG]

2. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, I for one welcome this long needed change. Perhaps they are finally beginning to realize that there is some value to the premium traveler--either via fare paid or frequency of travel (ie. upgrades for BIS elites).

I will be the first to congratulate them for these pending changes, and let's hope this is just the beginning of the improvements!!

3. This is great news. I'm particularly excited about the addition of appetizers and upgraded wine selections. The old salt and pepper shakers did drive me insane too as they were quite pointless. You couldn't get any useful amount out of them without shaking the thing 500 times.

The glassware will be nice also although that never really bothered me.

4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a feeling this may be the end for the DEQM & h/s/j promotions as they're able to actually sell more of these seats. It was nice having flown <20k miles last year and getting *G status.

5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never even experienced a proper meal in domestic US F...always a snack basket [​IMG]. AA opened my eyes with their far superior domestic F!

6. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. And let us hope that the restoration of closets in F is on Hector's agenda.

mht_flyer likes this.
  7. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking, i think the improvements have been happening for a while. The US planes in general are a lot cleaner inside, and they appear to be spending more time and money on keeping what the customer sees, well-maintained. While the meal menus have not changed in some time, the quality of the food more often than not has been improved over the last 18 months or so. Salads are actually crisp (croutons still soggy though but I suppose with preplated salads stored in a fridge, that cant be helped), pen marks removed from the seatbacks, and overall service has been friendlier, more efficient and more helpful, not just in the air but on the ground and on the phone, too. Envoy Suites too is a wonderful product. The enhancements to F are a welcome addition to the improvements but I think that the trend towards a better overall experience started many months ago. They just don't put out announcements when they start a new campaign to have fewer lavs that smell like pee :D

8. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm very pleased by the Mojito mix and the meal enhancements. I'm slightly concerned that the pre-packed snack basket might prevent me from eating 1 half dozen bags of salt and pepper chips, but that is probably for the best anyhow.

scubaflyer likes this.
  9. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah but I better sell my shares of Walker's Shortbread because without a basket full of those tasty treats to inhale on each flight, I bet they have a harder time keeping sales up!

nomflyer likes this.
  10. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did notice this a couple of weeks ago when I flew US in F for the first time in 2 1/2 years. I bailed on US somewhere between the calzones and the new leather seats. [​IMG]

11. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder what the most popular snacks were.

12. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to see US lessen the flight times where meals are served in F. On all other legacies it its flights greater than 2 hours with US its flights over 3.5!

I personally like the Cranberry Snack Mix and the Biscotti with the Walkers coming in 3rd.

nomflyer likes this.
  13. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    one had to be the salt and pepper chips. i concur, those are/were doggone tasty.

kellio and nomflyer like this.
  14. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to see this as well. I've only gotten to experience the snack basket as my flights are almost always very short.

15. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, too, have seen some improvements easing their way into flights. My flights to and from ORD in F this week were actually quite nice. The flight attendants were outstanding - friendly, helpful, smiling. The plane was clean and so was the lav. One of the planes was definitely an East plane - the other an AW plane. I also found out that US still has Biscoffs.... they are just locked in the back galley in a sealed compartment only to be pulled out in an emergency! I did have quite a chuckle at that.... and yes, only for ground delays and such. The flight attendants have to be able to justify handing them out.

I just wish they would offer a few more healthy alternatives in the snack basket. I love those chips, but feel so guilty when I eat them! I'd like to see more nut snacks... the little things they offer now are loaded with sesame snacks and only an odd cashew - if you're lucky to find one in the bag.

16. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    :) Yes, those chips are absolutely addicting. And I thought I was the only one eating 5 or 6 bags a flight...

17. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, very good news and very welcome by those of us who fly up front alot. Let's hope that the FAs fully embrace the changes, so that the whole F experience gets a lift.

18. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. It seems a little crazy to not serve F passengers a meal on a 3 hour flight. It was a little saddening to get a great full meal in CO F on a 2.5 hour flight, knowing that on my "regular" airline I would be relegated to chips and shortbread.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's always a good quote somewhere in a sc801 post ;). Although, I do agree with you on wanting to see more healthy food/snack options. That's why I always end up bringing my own healthy snacks with me (and then augment them with several bags of those addictive chips :)).

20. Always Be Flying
    Original Member

Always Be Flying Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is good news to me, there, US is very convenient for me, but I usually avoid them because of the service. If only they could make they F class seat pitch a little more roomy [​IMG]

aviators99 likes this.
  21. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't we already have the Stirrings mixes or have they pulled them? I remember last year getting a little too tipsy from the mojitos on the way to STL and haven't had one since:)

Sean Colahan likes this.
  22. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about Mojitos, but in DEC I did a MR to SFO, gut upgraded and got nice and tipsy on a Pomogranite Martini, and it was only 9 am :) They also had a margarita, but I don't remember seeing a mojito (which could be good)

kellio likes this.
  23. kellio
    Original Member

kellio Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just looked on line. Must have been the mai tai's,I knew it was something with rum. I had more than one so my memory is a bit cloudy[​IMG]

Sean Colahan likes this.
  24. FarPoint
    Original Member

FarPoint Silver Member

Status Points:
    These changes are a give-and-take situation. In order to make these changes as "cost neutral" as possible, the snack basket will essentially be eliminated on flights under 1.5 hours. Much of my flying is on routes <500 and less than 1.5 hours... so I will definitely miss the snack basket!