US Airways Off-Peak Business awards to Europe Discontinued, other changes afoot?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by mattsteg, Feb 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't see any changes to *A awards as far as I can see from US.

mattsteg likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's good - would not be a bad idea to book anything that is semi-planned in case of additional changes. I wouldn't expect too many changes as substantial as the off-peak business elimination, though, which really stings.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bummer. Not a good change at all.

ETA:

New Chart:
    [​IMG]

Old Chart:
    [​IMG]

US Airways has also split out Alaska as a separate destination zone for flights from the continental US, raising the rates at the medium and high levels. And low-level first class awards between North America and Hawaii are now 80K rather than 70K. High level business class between North America/Hawaii and Europe are up to 350K from 325K. High level business class between North America/Hawaii and Europe/South America are actually going down to 325K from 35oK. Finally, the middle and high tier rates between North America/Hawaii and the Middle East have spiked dramatically; at the top end a first class award goes from 240K to 350K.

More here: http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewa...-peak-business-award-to-europe-other-changes/.

5. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been taking advantage of the CP no award change fee and piecing a trip together for next week. I already had my flight to Europe booked from PHL in Envoy but hadn't found a low level of CLT-PHL. DO you think it is going to reprice when I find my connection to PHL? Or will it stay at the old 30000?

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that's certainly a bummer... I guess South America is the new Europe, but it's still pretty bad when a change like this is done and goes by completely unannounced.

I guess it's one more reason why it's not a good idea to stockpile Dividend Miles if you don't have an immediate plan for them :(

daninstl likes this.
  7. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I would call before I did anything on line then raise hell if they up the price. Just my thoughts on this.

akcae likes this.
  8. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I called 4 times and kept getting answers like "what do you mean 50,000?, off peak is 30,000" or when award space opens up, you can book the award" 5th call I got a rep who was wonderful and knew I was about to get screwed. She asked what flight I wanted low level to open up with and then she forced a booking in F for my domestic leg even though no low level was available. Saved my trip next weekend!

daninstl likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to hear it worked out for you. I hate that the cost is going up. I've never been to South America I guess I'll look into that adventure. I just got back from Rome in Envoy but they swapped out the plane to the old 767 lay at an angle. Great service but the lay flat seats are much better of course.

10. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bummer that the changes are generally negative. Thank goodness it doesn't affect the star alliance award chart...

ballardFlyer likes this.
  11. Dreamworks

Dreamworks Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do the South American destinations offer the A330s with new Envoy?

12. MikeLaw
    Original Member

MikeLaw Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only flight US currently operates is CLT>GIG, which does use the A330. When they add a second flight to GRU this summer, it will be served with a 767.

13. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    yet.