US Airways off-peak awards to Caribbean/Europe/South America

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by The Mileage Millionaire, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. The Mileage Millionaire
    Original Member

The Mileage Millionaire Silver Member

Status Points:
    US Airways offers some great deals on off-peak awards to Europe and South America. The awards are available only on US Airways operated flights, booked with US Airways miles, as follows:
    • US/Canada to the Caribbean (September 1-30): 25,000 coach / 50,000 first
    • N. America/Hawaii to S. America (May 1-31; October 1-31): 35,000 coach / 60,000 business
    • N. America/Hawaii to Europe (January 15 - February 28): 35,000 coach / 60,000 business
    The deal gets even better if you have a US Airways Premier World MasterCard, which provides a 5,000 mile discount for each passenger on an itinerary booked with the cardholder. So, for just 55,000 miles, you can travel in business class to Rio or one of US Airways’ 15 European destinations – Madrid, Paris, Rome, London, Frankfurt, Dublin, Manchester, Barcelona, Athens, Venice, Munich, Zurich, Amsterdam, Oslo, and Glasgow.

SC Flier and Randy Petersen like this.
  2. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oslo no longer applies. Nothing's been announced to replace that route. Even so, I concur this is a fantastic deal if you don't mind Europe in the winter - works perfectly for me!

Availability at this level can be tough to grab but as the dates near, invariably more seats do open up. If nothing shows as available it's often a good idea to look for off-peak space starting from PHL or CLT as it may be available from the hub but not your particular starting point. Just buy a revenue ticket (with enough connection time!) to and from CLT or PHL. It's still a great deal that way even at 60K (or 55K) plus revenue ticket for Envoy.

Sweet Willie and DeacFlyer1 like this.
  3. dts
    Original Member

dts Silver Member

Status Points:
    Athens is a seasonal destination and is not available during the off-peak awards time period.

4. Fireball
    Original Member

Fireball Active Member

Status Points:
    IMO, those Caribbean off-season rates are still a rip-off, especially for first class redemption. If one really wants to fly down there during hurricane season, a revenue ticket will probably yield an easy elite upgrade and will certainly earn miles. Tickets can probably be had for $500 max during that time, and if you earn a 100% bonus you'll probably end up with between 3k and 7k elite miles and between 6k and 14k redeemable miles. Add those miles to what the award costs, and you end up selling your miles to US for not a lot in return.

55k for an envoy suite to Europe can be a quite good value though.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, but can these be open jaw tickets? If so, an interesting theoretical trip that might be possible in 2012 based on the dates for each award:
    Feb 20 NorthAmerica-Europe
    Feb 27 Europe-Hawaii
    Mar 6 Hawaii-SouthAmerica
    Mar 13 SouthAmerica-NorthAmerica

Total 70K Coach or 120K Business (or less with MasterCard)

Or book a one-way ticket to HI in October and then a discount open jaw award to South America with the return flight back to home in North America.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  6. fets
    Original Member

fets Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "saver" awards can only be booked online, and as such, only be round-trip tickets. I'm currently spending a month in the bay area, during the saver period, and the weather here is currently *much* better than at home in BRU :) Well worth the 60K miles for the Envoy tickets.

Sean Colahan and jbcarioca like this.
  7. heels05
    Original Member

heels05 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not seeing any availability on off-peak awards from CLT-HNL in May or Oct. Do they sell out fast or are they not released yet? The Europe off-peak seems to have a lot of availability this month still.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is no off-peak between Hawaii and North America, unfortunately. It's not one of the three specific groups with off-peak travel as noted in the first post and in the US Award Chart.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. I wonder if the award calendar for F seats will ever be fixed. Still displays Y only.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are pretty good deals. I've booked the Envoy off-peak award to Europe several times. Too bad it's always so cold. The Envoy off-peak awards to Rio seem almost impossible to get. They seem to be gone right as the 11 month availability window opens up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    just a clarification question. In order to book an off peak award, I can only book so far out. In order to book for March 2012, Do have to wait until my return date is open to book or just the outbound?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll need the return date open too. You do have the option of booking any random return date available right now and then pay the change fee per ticket to move your return date later when that date and off-peak availability both become available.

It's interesting to see that Hawaii and South America off-peak US award travel is May and October 2011 but March and May for 2012. I really don't get March instead of October as off-peak for two regions that would be top spring break destinations - especially Hawaii.

jbcarioca and Sweet Willie like this.
  13. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification !
    could not agree more. For once as Mrs Sweet Willie in education, we might be able to take advantage of an off peak as normally the school district's vacation schedule of course never lines up with any off peak awards.

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. airshadow
    Original Member

airshadow Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've taken advantage of EU off-peak awards for several years in a row now and it always seems that just about 1/2 year out (Sept. range) is when I see a few things open up.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no direct information. I have taken this flight often, it is actually my only US route. Envoy is full, high/low/shoulder, it is full. I don't know about economy, I am pleased to say. Because this is the only US flight to SA anyone who wants US to the region is on the flight. In addition US fares from Brazil are much cheaper than the others so price conscious people are here in droves. I suspect they don't let low awards out at all.

16. richinaz
    Original Member

richinaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is probably old news by now but it has been fixed.

17. jumpdogjump
    Original Member

jumpdogjump Silver Member

Status Points: