US Airways Members at the Chicago Seminars.... question for you!

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by dcpatti, Oct 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're planning to attend the Chicago Seminars (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/chicago-seminar-october-29-and-30-2011.3773/) later this month, I hope you're also planning to attend the moderated breakouts on Sunday. toomanybooks and I will be leading a moderated discussion of frequent flyer programs of "US Airways, Southwest and others" (with the others most likely being JetBlue, Virgin America and Frontier although we might have a VS or AC trick or two to share--- probably won't get into the further-away carriers like BMI or SQ, etc). If you are planning to attend, please let me know what US-specific content you'd like to see/hear; I can't promise to cover it but would rather give something that interests folks rather than putting you all to sleep.

I can always do a quick-and-cheap guide to the first 12-16 Grand Slam hits as there will still be 2 weeks left in the promo but given how extensive the threads on our two favorite boards are, and how much blog coverage there's been, that might be a case of "been there, done that."

You can leave your suggestions in this thread or PM them to me and I'll start doing my homework!

kwidhalm likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Unfortunately I'll be taking off before the breakouts, but my #1 suggestion is "getting US Airways to long sell Lufthansa transatlantic first class award space" ;)

Though a quick-and-cheap guide to 16 grand slam hits seems a good idea anyway!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cheap segment mileage running (if it exists)

4. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be there but I can't for the life of me remember what I signed up for! :O This aging thing is brutal!

5. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having yet to solve this riddle myself, the best I can offer is "bribe the agent" :D

US' routing rules and pricing in certain markets seem to make it a lot harder to do mileage runs or segment runs; the most consistent trick I've been able to use is to book a flight with a long connection then do a move-up into an additional connection once arriving at the midpoint. Like MCO-CLT-DCA with 3:50 in CLT. When I get to CLT I ask to swap into CLT-PHL-DCA instead of the nonstop, under the cover of "it will get me home earlier." Occasionally a nice sale pops up and you can churn something like BOS-LGA-PHL-DCA-CLT and back on the cheap but it's very occasionally... honestly I prefer to do my segment/mileage running on UA/CO as their routing rules tend to be a little more wiggle-able. And unfortunately that is the best tip I have in that department. :(

kwidhalm likes this.
  6. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've found moreso than the actual routing rules is the price that comes along with those obscure routings...I was on my company's travel booking website the other day, looking at DFW-CLT. With non-stops both ways, priced out to a little over $300. I did have the ability to book DFW-PHX-CLT on the way home, but that made the ticket $900 (and therefore not able to be purchased!)