US Airways March 2014 -- Safe for Star Alliance accrual?

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by LarryInNYC, Nov 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will be making a trip to Brazil approximately Feb 28 to Mar 10, 2014. The miles will be just enough to earn Aegean gold status (and thus Star Gold) if credited to Aegean.

There is a convenient US Airways flight.

If I book the flight and use my A3 frequent flier number, what happens if and when US Airways leaves Star Alliance in early 2014. I assume I would not be able to accrue on Aegean and I'd have to apply a OneWorld frequent flier account to the flight. Is that correct?

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct, absent special arrangements that I would not count on. I wouldn't operate under the assumption I could credit that flight to a3.

3. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    If this merger is anything like UA/CO it might take some time to actually get everything combined. It might be a stretch for them to leave by March 2014

jbcarioca and LarryInNYC like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do agree with that. However prior to doj involvement they had been tallking about oneworld by year end. This is just one stepping stone to integration. I wouldn't assume I could credit upcoming flights to anyone other than US if ability to credit to a specific program was important.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well hopefully they announce a new timetable soon...but that's probably wishful thinking.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd bet it would be before the end of the month (for a new timetable). They just need the DOJ case officially closed (remember there were a couple friend of the court requests they might have to consider) and then the BK judge to approve any changes to the reorg plan based on the DOJ settlement. Both should ideally be pretty quick.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From USA Today:

'The management of the "new" American is already working on plans to wind down US Airways' membership in the Star Alliance. "We intend to move out of Star quickly," US Airways President Scott Kirby said Tuesday afternoon. "We'll have a seamless transition for customers." '

He added the transition from Star to oneworld will begin during the first quarter of 2014.'

http://www.usatoday.com/story/today...omises-quick-exit-from-star-alliance/3507955/

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you think about a scheduled US Airways award redemption in March-April 2014 on UA, LH, TG, BR and TK? Will we have any trouble with support, or in case of schedule changes between now and then? Irrops once travel has begun?

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    A subject for discussion over breakfast later this month in Orcott... ;) However, experience from other disaffiliations (recalling AC/CP merger where CP left OW) show that award tickets will be treated as if no disaffiliation has taken place vis a vis sked changes or irrops, but any voluntary changes would not be accepted. If you have to cancel, points could not be reused for STAR flights, just ONEWORLD. However, you could not ask to be put onto a OW flight in case of sked change or irrops.

Jenny & Curt and jbcarioca like this.
  10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Beginning" during the first quarter of 2014 is vaguely hopeful for my plan to accrue on A3 via US Airways flying in March 2014. Hopefully they'll announce a complete schedule soon.

There are a couple of Star Alliance alternatives, but none as good as the US Airways flight. Avianca has flights with a change in Bogota which is less than ideal (but there is a 24 hour layover version which would let me visit Bogota). This flight has 100% accrual. There's also a United flight, but at only 50% it won't get me over the hump at Aegean.

11. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA and US have been planning the merger for quite a while. They've combined operations at some airports (JFK for example). I think March should still be safe, but it depends on what your options are. I am not sure how much A3 star gold is worth to most (club access and checked bag waivers), which i would put as $400 at most, a much more expensive airfare on UA would make it well worth the gamble to credit a march US flight at A3.

12. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fares on US Airways, Avianca, and United are all similar prices for one stop itineraries, but US Airways is by far the most convenient, and United only earns 50% on Aegean.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Source? As independent carriers with separate unions, this would surprise me. Then again, it's NYC, so nothing really surprises me.

Depends on how many different *A clubs you use. My EXP ROI (OW, not *A) next year will be significant, being able to use the Flagship Lounge in LAX, CX lounge in PVG and HKG, with possibile uses in AMM, FCO, and DUS as well. Paying for access to those could get expensive, not to mention actually checking bags on AA, CX, RJ and AB on international itineraries.

14. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do unions have to do with US Airways moving to T8 at JFK?

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Moving gates is very different from "consolidating operations."

16. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Moving gates means consolidating operations.

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, moving gates means moving gates. Getting rid of duplicate personnel, aligning operational policies and schedules, etc. means consolidating operations.

18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about 'consolidating gates'?

19. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am still having a temper tantrum over all of this!

Filler03 likes this.
  20. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    How do you consolidate a gate?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

21. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    :popcorn:

sc801 likes this.
  22. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Emphasis on vaguely. Keep in mind how long this merger has been in the works (and then subsequently on hold). I think the withdrawal from Star will be quick and very likely to happen before March.

23. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If they're planning reciprocal upgrades on Jan 7th that would seem to indicate very, very quickly.

24. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting rid of duplicate terminals is certainly a first step in this. Obviously the rest they can't do until they can officially cooperate but I would still say getting into a shared terminal counts as a first step.

25. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    With the timelines and approvals such a thing requires, this was planned a while ago and just recently happened.

It's a step closer, but not related to the merger directly and with no impact on either carrier's current operations.