US Airways Credit Card with 35,000 Bonus Miles and No Fee the First Year

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by gleff, Feb 11, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Via Rick, US Airways is offering a no fee the first year credit card with full mileage earning, something they haven’t done in several years.

Here’s the offer: 35,000 bonus miles with first use, no fee the first year ($89 thereafter).
    The card also comes with a $99 companion ticket valid for up to two passengers ($99 each when you buy a ticket of $299+tax or more), an annual US Airways Club Pass, 10,000 elite qualifying miles after each card anniversary, and zone 2 boarding on US Airways flights.

The no fee offer is geared to US Airways Chairmans elite members, given that the URL for the offer is http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans but it does not appear in any way to be a targeted offer, anyone can take advantage of it.

If you haven’t had a US Airways card, it’s a good time to grab one. If you have, perhaps others will report their recent experiences getting signup bonuses for the card a second time? I haven’t tried it in a few years, but I’ve certainly gotten the signup bonus more than once.

jbcarioca and noel like this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A clarification and then a question here:

1. Just so this is clear, the US Airways Club Pass benefit is that each year that you are a cardmember, you get one one-day US Airways Club pass, not an annual membership.

2. Reading through the fine print of the application, it sounds like there are two possible cards (See section 3: Bonus miles, on the bottom of gleff's "Here's the offer" link in the post above for an example): the "Premier world" card, and then the "Platinum" card. It says Premier world cardmembers will receive 35,000 miles after first purchase, while Platinum cardmembers will receive 10,000 miles after first purchase. Similarly, it says that Premier world cardmembers will receive 2 miles per dollar spent on US Airways.com, and 1 mile per dollar everywhere else, while Platinum cardmembers will only receive 1 mile per dollar spent at US Airways.com, in addition to 1 mile/dollar everywhere else.

However, I don't see a place to distinguish between the two cards on the actual application. Is this something where if your credit score is good enough, you'll just automatically get the Premier world, but if it's lower, you'll get Platinum? I would just hate for someone to apply for this thinking they're getting 35,000 miles and then end up with the card that only gives you 10,000. Has anyone else looked and can clarify the distinction here?

***Edited to add that I just read the fine print, and it does not sound like you get 10,000 preferred qualifying miles each year, or even that you automatically get 10,000 preferred qualifying miles after first purchase. It sounds like you must spend $25,000 in a year in order for 10,000 base miles that you've earned on the card to be converted into preferred miles.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed, I misposted about about the 10k annual bonus being EQMs, it's not, the eqm's are same amount but require hitting the spending threshold.. sorry!

4. For the Platinum card, the 10,000 preferred miles post after reaching $25,000 spend in the calendar year. One additional benefit is Dividend Miles Select Status, which includes: for both cards 5,000 mile discount on US Airways award travel (does not apply to Star Alliance or partner rewards); and for the Platinum card after reaching $25,000 spend (as long as the account is in good standing) award processing fees are waived (this includes Star Alliance and partner rewards).

The two annual $99 companion tickets must be used on one trip and have some significant restrictions, but I've managed to use at least one $99 ticket every year I've held the card. It works great when your spouse wants to accompany you on a business trip.

5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to churn Barclays cards a lot, even having two or three at a time. Then they stopped allowing me - kept telling me I have an existing account. I currently have one personal and they won't even give me a legitimate business card. But they never do credit pulls (explicitly states this on the denial page too) so I may just try again anyway! Or at least will have my wife get one.

The waiver of award processing fees for partner/*A awards must be new - I have two emails explicitly stating that only applies to US metal awards.

The $99 companion tickets, even with the fees that will be charged, are a great value if you use them for Canada. I've saved several hundred dollars per companion ticket each time I've used it.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. noel
    Original Member

noel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have never had a US Airways card and am pretty new to the miles game. I'm wondering what makes now a good time. Is this just a higher sign up bonus that USAir typically offers?

And since there is no credit pull, is there any downside to trying?

7. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    I already have the personal card with a 79/fee and no "bonus anniversary miles" - has anybody with an existing account had any luck contacting customer service to see if they could get an annual fee waiver or bonus miles by referencing this new offer?

8. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    About a year ago, I applied for the Premier World card and was downgraded to Platinum, at least they gave me a card. I had also applied for the 30k AA card and was denied for "too few credit references". I only had to spend $750 to get the 10k and it's $49 a year. I was just wondering if I should threaten to cancel it and see if they offer me anything to stick around. I don't really want to cancel it though as long as Grand Slam is running annually though as I struggle to get hits being physically based in Australia.

Also, does anyone know how I could get this card for my husband when he isn't a US citizen and doesn't have a SSN? Like can I sign for him or something? I know I could add him to my card but then he wouldn't get the bonus miles in his own account.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. DoubleJ
    Original Member

DoubleJ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's a tough one. Since every CC application I have ever filled out required an SSN, I think the chances are not very good without one. Does he have any other US-based credit cards at present? I ask because if he doesn't have a rating with any of the credit agencies, getting the card is a non-starter anyways.

jbcarioca and cockpitvisit like this.
  10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:

DeacFlyer1,

You apply for the card and are given either the Premier World card or the Platinum card based on credit score/worthiness. So, your assessment is correct. Someone could apply hoping to get the 35K mile bonus for the Premier World card only to be approved for the Platinum card and only get the 10K mile bonus. Almost all credit card companies are now doing this "upsell/downsell" scenario when applying for rewards cards.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gary,

Thanks for the post (both here and on your blog). I had somehow missed this offer (which you think US would have sent to me since I'm Chairmans Preferred). It was a pretty easy way for me to grab 35K miles for free (given the free first year).

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the verification.

13. The award processing fee waiver applied to a LH/UAX/USX award I booked in May 2010. The 5,000 mile reduction did not apply due not being on all US metal.

14. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what happened to me for the US card. It also happened on the PC Visa and AA Visa but they didn't reduce the amount of sign up miles, only the US card did that.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. Tiki
    Original Member

Tiki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I added him on to my B of A Visa just so I could make purchases on his behalf for Grand Slam. They didn't ask for his SSN as a sup card holder. I remember when I got my first ever credit card, my parents co-signed it, this was back in 1987 so I don't know if they even do that anymore. I was hoping I could co-sign for my husband.

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    You have to spend $25k in order to be eligible for the award processing fee wavier, correct?

17. Correct. You have to meet the spend requirement, be in good standing, and otherwise comply with the fine print. I use the card for business travel expenses, so the requirement gets met every year. Once you qualify, you will see a "DMS" next to your status indicator when you log into usairways.com. In my case, ever since I quailfied for DMS, I've also qualified for Virtuoso travel services.

18. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Virtuoso (at least at one point in the past) required either $30K or $35K annual spend. With that they bump you from "Premier World" to "World Elite" - I still have one and get Virtuoso even though I virtually ignored this card last year.

So I still have an account open but applied anyway. In the past 15 months the denials have always been because I have sufficient credit with an existing account, but no credit report is pulled. This time I have the same sufficient credit with existing account but they did a TransUnion pull. Jerks!

Not that upsetting since it's the only TransUnion pull I've had in years but still... And I'm forced to wait six months or more between Chase apps since they always pull Experian and I have way too many Experian pulls right now. Argh! I want the Hyatt card with 2x free nights!

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. bonesaz

bonesaz Silver Member

Status Points:
    So the fee is only waived if you have Chairman status?

20. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just received a letter in the mail today offering (up to) 40,000 miles - premier world master card 30,000 for first use, and then another 10,000 for a balance transfer within 30 days of account opening---and it says im Pre-Qualified. First year free also.....I have until May 13th to mail this out..........sounds like a solid deal to me---combined with the 100% miles purchased match = 120,000 miles for roughly $1,100.

viguera and jbcarioca like this.
  21. jk2
    Original Member

jk2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I applied yesterday for this card (+AMEX platinum + BA Visa simultaneously, according to FrugalTravelGuy, such technique helps). I was instantly approved for AMEX platinum, BA Visa is under consideration and US Airways MC as well. Called Barclays today to see if the can make a decision now. Rep said - no problem, let's see. She found out that during last year I was too aggressive in applying cards, so she cannot approve me. Plus she reduced a credit limit on my Spirit MC card from $4K to $1K. I don't think I was too aggressive - my last applications were in January and February. Talked to supervisor - she did not want to reconsider. I don't have any debt, etc.

Can I fight further or just forget about this?

22. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the link that you have provided on here and the offer was still there since I am able to open of the link. I applied last week and was approved for the platinum card. According the the T&Cs, I am still eligible for the same promotion as the premier but I'm not sure I will receive the promotion that was offered. Should I call them and try to get the same promotion that was offered since I was able to applied for the card on the promotion link, and do you think they will give me the promotion that was back in February?

23. Falcon View
    Original Member

Falcon View Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclays Bank can be Schizo at times in their approvals and credit limits. Try this 'back door' number that will bypass all front line customer service personnel and take you straight to a Credit Analyst: 866-408-4064.
    Credit Analysts can overide all automated credit actions, and seem to have alot of leeway in their decision making ability.