US Airways club memberships on sale for $259

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by DeacFlyer1, Mar 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regardless of status level (or even if you have no status), club memberships are currently $259 (plus the regular $50 initiation fee): Details on US website.

I don't have a membership but am considering getting one--does anyone know if you purchase one now, is it good for 12 months from date of purchase, or is it calendar or DM program year based?

sobore and PAinNY like this.
  2. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just copied this from the FAQ's on the link. Seems like it goes into effect 3 days after your online application.
    Membership will be active on the third business day after submitting the online application. Membership card and materials will arrive at the address provided above in approximately 4-6 weeks. To use your membership from the time of activation until your membership card is received, present your Dividend Miles card and a photo ID at any US Airways Club. If a joint membership was purchased, spouses and domestic partners may present a photo ID along with the primary member's Dividend Miles number. For more information, call 1-800-828-8522.

sobore, Chimpy and Horse like this.
  3. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, but still not sure if I purchased today if it would be valid through March 22, 2012, or Dec 31, 2011.

sobore likes this.
  4. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's 12 calendar months. Buy today and it's valid thru late March 2012.

5. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

6. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a cheaper Club sale a few months ago ($249, 0 initiation)...however, even at $309 all in, still very well worth it! I find the US Clubs (and even the RCC in SNA) to be consistently good with great staff.

7. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    Just have some questions about what lounge access actually entails.

1. If I am travelling through Europe on Lufthansa using an award ticket from United, can both my wife and I access Lufthansa lounges if I get this membership?
    2. Can we use the US Airways lounge when leaving the US even though we are not flying US Airways?
    3. More generally, can you use the club/lounge of any *A partner, or only one on which you are flying?
    4. Anyone know anything about Lufthansa club/lounges?

Ok. That was more questions than I intended, but I figure I'll just get it all out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Seems like a good deal for even one trip with multiple destinatons for 2 people.

8. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, I'll take a shot at answering these (knowing very well that my fellow US Club members will correct me if I am wrong ;)). Let me start by saying that when US has a sale on there US Club membership, it is often the best club membership deal of any US-based airline out there because you essentially get 3 club memberships for the (discounted) price of 1. More to come on that topic when I answer question #3.

1) Having a US Club membership does not entitle you to get into Lufthansa lounges, even though it has a Star Alliance lounge logo on it. So, I would say that you would not get in using it.
    2) Yes, you can use the US Club whenever you want, regardless of whether you are flying US or not. In fact, I know alot of people who purchased a US Club membership just to get into Red Carpet Clubs and/or President's Clubs.
    3) I've hinted around this already. When you buy the US Club membership, you gain access to US Clubs, Red Carpet Clubs (United), and President's Clubs (Continental). I believe the only way to get into other *A lounges/clubs is to have *Gold status (which you don't get from buying a US Club membership).
    4) I'll have to take a pass on this one, as I don't know much about the Lufthansa clubs/lounges.

All-in-all, IMHO I agree with your assessment that it is a good deal, even if used for a limited number of trips.

PAinNY likes this.
  9. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I question that I have, is whether (as a current US Club member) they would extend my current membership by a full year at this discounted price. I have a feeling they will extend it by a year from today (if I were to buy the membership today) versus extending it for a year from when my current membership is due to expire (which is September I think).

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  10. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually...you need *Gold to access the LH lounges but if you have a paid membership, you're in. Basing that on this snippet from the *A website:

Paid Lounge Membership Customers: Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned Business Class lounges.
    • Eligible Paid Lounge Membership Customers include United Airlines Red Carpet Club, US Airways Club, Air Canada Maple Leaf Club – Worldwide and Continental Airlines Presidents Club.
    • Customer must present a valid eligible paid lounge membership card
    • Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport.
    • Customer is entitled to one guest

scubaflyer likes this.
  11. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good question. I'd like to know the answer as well.

Ahem...too lazy to call right now.:D

12. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks RedM3Pilot! I love learning something new ;). That's great news (except for the fact that I have had many opportunities to take advantage of this and haven't). Thanks for setting me straight. I'll be putting this new knowledge to use very soon. I guess that little "Star Alliance Lounge" logo on the US Club card does actually mean something :D.

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  13. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem. :)

I think this is a little known benefit as most people who post on this type of forum are *Golds who get access anyway...or only fly internationally when cashing in miles and do so in Business class that gets auto access as well.

14. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:

Thanks scubaflyer, redpilot. So my conclusion based on this is that I would get access to Lufthansa lounges. Does the term "eligible" above have any restrictions? I'll check the site, but if anyone has successfully done this, I'd be interested in hearing....

15. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It would definitely be a nice benefit for those who may not be *Gold but frequent large airports with lots of *Gold carriers (LAX and SFO come to mind) for domestic travel. Seems like the international carriers tend to have nicer lounges most of the time (but not always).

RedM3Pilot likes this.
  16. nimasut

nimasut Active Member

Status Points:
    Oh. Just saw the two preceding comments post. Thanks.

17. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    They extend the expiry by 365 days, so if you expire in Sept 2011 and buy now, you're set thru Sept 2012.
    I was thinking about doing this, but am holding back in case Club renewal is a Grand Slam hit again.

PAinNY and RedM3Pilot like this.
  18. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's the rub: you can't access the partner *Gold lounges when traveling domestically...we're limited to US, CO/UA lounges. That's the biggest restriction. :(

PAinNY likes this.
  19. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    The first sentence had me reaching for my credit card. The second one made me pause and decide to reply to your post instead.

PAinNY likes this.
  20. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. I'm still deciding if the $65 difference ($259 versus $325 for Chairman) is worth waiting or not.

21. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    The $65 difference between regular CP price and this sale price is a tough call but it's such an easy hit. Late summer/early Fall is historically my crunch time at work so I can pick up hotel and rental car hits easy, but don't have the time to manage some of the more complicated ones properly. I did manage to pick up 80k miles last year with under $300 spend (that I wouldn't have spent anyway), but want more easy ones this year. I really had to stand on my head for those last 4 hits!

PAinNY likes this.
  22. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suppose the next logical question is whether the Club cards have been re-designed as well. :D

PAinNY likes this.
  23. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hear you. If you can believe this, I'm still wrestling with the DM Marketing team over 3 hits that took me over the 100K mark. So, I've only been given 80K so far, but really earned the full 100K. I agree that every hit is precious during the GS :D. Now, I just need to get some *A F seats booked to make it all worth while.

PAinNY likes this.
  24. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ya, they'll be redesigned alright. Here's my prediction. They'll be jet black with black logos and black lettering. There will be a 'special' light at each club to put the card under to read and verify it. The problem will be that the RCC and PC clubs will always have a broken 'special' light and therefore not let you in :rolleyes:.

25. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points: