US Airways Booked Awards (Star Alliance and US Metal)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by 4Health, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought it might be nice to start a thread where people can post recent Star Alliance (or those on US Metal) award travel they have been able to successfully book using their Dividend Miles. There has been so much talk of US implementing a some type of blocking that I think this information will prove useful until it is sorted out whether US is engaging in this practice.

My most recent booking using DM miles is:

CLT-MUC (LH F)
    MUC-ZRH (LX C)
    ZRH-DEL (LX F) (Destination)

DEL-ZRH (LX C)
    ZRH-IAD (UA F)
    IAD-CLT (UA C)

Not the most impressive booking, but it is such a short trip that I just wanted to get there and home in the shortest amount of time possible so I didn't bother throwing in any stop-overs or out of the way routings. If I could have, I would have booked the direct flight on CO, but alas, award availability was not there on my travel dates.

So what else have the other savvy DM redeemers come up with lately?

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm sitting in the UA F lounge, msgleff and I are about to be the only passnegers in NH F to NRT.

Trip report forthcoming but our booking is:

IAD-ORD, UA F
    ORD-NRT, NH F

BKK-NRT, TG F
    NRT-IAD, NH F

... for 120k apiece. When they held it that way I didn't go back and add anything out of North Asia on the outbound :)

So we've got a separate SQ redemption NRT-SIN in F, then BD redemption SIN-BKK-HKT.

4Health likes this.
  3. cvarming
    Original Member

cvarming Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a trip for two to Copenhagen and Italy in August 2011.

PIT-IAD, UA Y
    IAD-FRA, LH C
    FRA-CPH SK C

VCE-PHL, US C
    PHL-PIT, US Y

Cost: 105k UA miles and 100k US miles.

4. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very nice looking trip. I am quite jealous. Hopefully NRT won't be too cold this time of the year. Love it that you were able to score these for 120k each...sometimes US is just spot on with the way they run things.

5. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine's pretty simple (but it meets my needs/wants perfectly), 120K each:
    SFO-ICN UA C
    ICN-CEB OZ C
    CEB-ICN OZ C
    ICN-SFO OZ C

LAX-ICN OZ C
    ICN-CEB OZ C
    CEB-ICN OZ C
    ICN-LAX OZ C

Will rendezvous with my hott wife in ICN. [​IMG]

Sean Colahan likes this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Oh, I'm enjoying NRT very much, the ANA suites lounge at least at the moment. Not staying here, since US priced the award at 120k I didn't want to add to it or change it in any way. So I just grabbed a separate one-way award in SQ F. Which I'll be boarding shortly!

alohastephen likes this.
  7. I've booked 2 tickets each on:

ORD-FRA (UA F)
    FRA-BOM (LH F)
    BOM- BKK (TG CO
    BKK-ZRH (TG F)
    ZRH-ORD (LX F)

All for 160000. I couldn't get agents to longsell LH F, hence I'm slumming it on UA F.

8. 4Health
    Original Member

4Health Silver Member

Status Points:
    Strange occurrence today when I attempted to change one of my segments from LX C to LX F. This change is for the itinerary listed in the original post. I found that ANA and the Aeroplan website both showed that there were two seats available in F. I called US and they insisted that there was only one seat available in F. I decided to snag it for the wife to get me some brownie points since I figured that I'm just going to sleep anyway since the flight leaves at 1:15am. After confirming that my wife was now in F on that segment, I went back to the ANA and AC tool and searched to see if there was still another seat available. Lo and behold there was no availability in F. It appears that US's system may actually be the one that is in-sync and ANA/AC is what is throwing us off. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

9. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have (currently) :
    TRD-OSL SK Y
    OSL-FRA LH C
    FRA-ZRH LH C
    ZRH-HKG LX F
    HKG-MUC LH F
    MUC-OSL LH C
    OSL-TRD SK Y
    To bad that SK doesn't have C on domestic flights in Norway ( actually it sucks..... [​IMG])

10. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would have done MUC-HKG in LH F and HKG-ZRH in LX F instead. You get to try the CX F Lounge in HKG with LX F..

11. LN-FHU
    Original Member

LN-FHU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would have been an option, but there was no availability.......[​IMG]
    Besides, LX from ZRH probably is better, as I've heard they have better food going from their own hub....don't know if it's something in it though...
    Nevertheless, I'm satisfied with my routing.....[​IMG]

12. calvinoeh
    Original Member

calvinoeh Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Yup still a good routing. Have fun!

LN-FHU likes this.
  13. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a few months ago for June travel: YVR-SYD (AC) (8-Day stopover)-AKL (NZ), returning the same route and carriers. 2 of us in J.

Just booked 2x IAD-PHX-SFO in Y, nothing fancy but it's a wedding gift for our friends; we'll meet them in SFO and treat them to a post-wedding weekend adventure. Notable because I could find the Low awards and used the US mastercard to get each ticket for 20k miles :D

Also just booked 2x LHR-YOW-DCA in J on AC for some family to come visit us.

Now my miles are looking small :( But I still have enough for my 2012 trip which will be Hong Kong and wherever the itinerary lines up, hopefully Tokyo, definitely in J or F, not sure who on though! I haven't really started looking yet because the fares aren't loaded for the week(s) that I want to go. But soon, very soon!

14. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    FWIW I don't think US is blocking seats. I think its more of a syncing issue. Most recently US could not see F availablity on any LH MUC-CLT/EWR/JFK/BOS flight even though it was available on ANA. I asked the agent to long sell the CLT-MUC flight in F and it came back confirmed.

15. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    In Dec, I ticketed for two pax:

BOI-DEN UA F
    DEN-ORD UA F
    ORD-FRA LC F
    FRA-ARN LH C

ARN-FRA LH C (with a two day stopover)
    FRA-ORD LH F
    ORD-DEN UA Y
    DEN-BOI UA Y

Trip is July 2011 and used 125K USDM apiece.

Quick question...the last two segments didn't have F available. What is the best avenue to pursue getting us into F?

16. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep an eye on the UA F inventory for those flights, it may open up.

17. k_malm
    Original Member

k_malm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using Expert Flyer? I should have been more clear with my question, my apologies. My question should have been, which tool do I use to watch for the inventory to open up? Thank you!

18. IMH
    Original Member

IMH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Expert Flyer is your tool of choice for this. Just set up an alert for "First - Saver Award [XF]" on your flight(s).

I did precisely this just yesterday. I'm not too optimistic about inventory opening up, but if it does I'll almost certainly see it in time.

k_malm likes this.
  19. Aro

Aro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have experienced exactly the same! Both ANA tool and Aeroplan show two seats being available in F on an LX flight in August, but all US agents claims that there is only one seat available. Did not bother splitting our booking to try what you did and went for TG F instead.

20. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Took a Mediterranean Cruise last Summer. Transferred Starwood points to US Air during a 50% transfer bonus, so with the normal Starwood 25% bonus, I ended up using 160,000 SPG points (80K each) and got Swiss First Class JFK-ZRH-VCE and ATH-ZRH-JFK.

Even better, our friends had no US Air miles at the time. The cruise included free Coach airfare - I got an $800 credit per person for not using the airfare. The other option was to pay $2,000 extra per person for Business Class, so the net cost was actually $2,800. At the time, Business Class was 80,000 miles and US Air was having one of their 100% bonuses on miles purchases. They each paid $1,100 for 40,000 miles, got 80,000 miles and booked the same flights in Business Class. They were thrilled and finally realized that I'm truly brilliant! ;)

21. Magnus
    Original Member

Magnus Silver Member

Status Points:
    just booked this trip for dec/jan
    ARN-FRA LH C
    FRA-HKG LH F
    HKG-BKK TG F (stopover)
    BKK-SYD TG F

SYD-BKK TG F
    BKK-NRT TG F (12h in Tokyo)
    NRT-ICN UA F (one short night in Seoul)
    ICN-FRA OZ F
    FRA-ARN SK C

22. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got this booked for may / june:
    BGO - FRA LH C
    FRA - KIX LH F
    ITM - HND NH Y

NRT - ICN UA F (stopover)
    ICN - HKG OZ C (but have booked seat 2K in First cabin) 25 hrs. layover in HKG
    HKG - FRA LH F
    FRA - BGO LH C

For christmas, I've found availability on this itinerary using ANA-tool but not yet booked:
    BGO - FRA LH C (overnight layover)
    FRA - MUC LH C
    MUC - HKG LH F
    HKG - BKK TG F (overnight layover)
    BKK - DPS TG F

DPS - BKK TG F (stopover)
    BKK - SGN LH F (overnight layover)
    SGN - HKG UA F
    HKG - FRA LH F
    FRA - BGO LH C

Question is this; is this a valid routing for a Europe - South Asia-trip for 110K miles?

23. fets
    Original Member

fets Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked the following:
    NRT-ICN (OZ C)
    ICN-IST (TK C)
    IST-BRU (TK C)

+ the same in reverse over Golden Week in Japan. Maybe not the "best" use of 80 K miles, but availability in this period is really low and this is the best I could find :)

24. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Heading out on LH in business in two weeks. ATL-FRA-TXL and a return. 100K each.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to add US metal flights to a booked award? I originally considered adding US MGM-CLT-ATL to position us for the flight but decided the drive to ATL would be easier. Now I'm reconsidering since learning that the airport shuttle service that I planned to take has gone out of business! :eek: We can still drive, but the positioning flights look better than they did at booking. Ideas?

Andyandy

P.S. looking at the trips folks are posting here makes me feel like a piker!

25. fets
    Original Member

fets Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a $150 change fee per ticket for whatever change you make. Could you fly MGM-CLT on US and then CLT-MUC-TXL on LH? (and same for the return)