US Airways baggage policy change

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by sobore, Jul 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com/article/85519/us-airways-baggage-policy-change

The United States Department of Transportation has issued new regulations, causing US Airways to alter their baggage policies.

Reacting to the new legislation, US Airways issued the following statement.

“US Airways will discontinue checking passengers’ bags when they have been ticketed on separate tickets to other flights, effective 01 August 2012.”

According to the airline, this will not affect passengers booked on interline itineraries on the same ticket.

If an itinerary is split into two or more tickets on two or more airlines, US Airways will only check the bag to the destination on the US Airways portion of the ticket.

http://www.etravelblackboardasia.com/article/85519/us-airways-baggage-policy-change

marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where's the unlike button?

And Aug 1 is tomorrow. Nothing like advance notice.

uggboy and Blue Skye like this.
  3. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    ugh! this is annoying to find out now. my trip to New Zealand in Nov is made up of 3 different star alliance carriers, mainly b/c i couldn't get the flight times i wanted any other way. i was counting on the first flight (US) interlining the bags with Air New Zealand.

sheesh even Delta did this for me last year. they checked my bag between them and United without batting an eye at me.

uggboy likes this.
  4. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is ONLY if your booked on a different ticket numbers. If the ticket number is the same for all flights, they will interline (i.e. if you paid for 1 ticket with all three segments). This is only if (in your case) you bought three different tickets.

LETTERBOY and uggboy like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are the new regulations?

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They love new changes, hiding behind the regulators back!:eek:

7. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i understand that. i am booked on 3 different tickets/airlines. since i could not make the booking engines show me the flights i wanted, i booked separate ones. one way on US, rt on Air New Zealand, then one way on UA. all separate but same alliance. i was hoping i could get them to join the tickets after the fact to not deal with rechecking baggage.

though now that i think about it, it is a bit moot for the return trip since they make you grab your luggage after customs and recheck it upon coming back into the USA. the "big" concern is for my outbound trip. i have a few hours between flights, so it should be fine.

ETA: as an elite within the same alliance, one would think they would add interlining luggage to their benefits. one can hope. ;)

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wasn't this first announced a week or so ago? I saw something on View From the Wing about it around that time (I think). This is basically old news, isn't it?

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But there's a difference between grabbing your luggage for customs and then just throwing it onto a conveyor belt for the next flight vs. going to the check-in counter and checking it with the agent for the next flight.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY likes this.
  11. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is very true. perhaps they will reconsider their stance. :rolleyes: though i am not holding my breath. it will make me reconsider booking with US again in the future.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Doug Parker has his way, we would be loading our own baggage. He already expects us to bring our own entertainment since there isn't any on domestic flights in any class of service.

sobore and Blue Skye like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Nothing wrong with that IMO. I have been bringing my own entertainment since before he became CEO of US Airways (via the merger). I trust my taste better than whatever the airlines deem suitable for their customers.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If one brings their own entertainment, that is of course their choice. My feeling is that if you spend 5 hours on a plane, they should offer you some entertainment as not everyone wants to bring their own, and 5 hours of nothing is a bit much for the human brain.

15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Homer Simpson said it best: Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems. ;)

Flyer1976 and marcwint55 like this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If they'd stop interfering with these people, there'd be plenty of free low-cost entertainment.

Jokes aside, what's wrong with a book? I don't quite understand why airlines should be expected to provide entertainment. They are in the transportation business. Sure, if they want to differentiate their product by adding bells and whistles, no problem.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  17. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why should they reconsider? If the government's stopping them from making money doing something they could make money doing before, I don't see anything wrong with US Airways not doing it any longer. They're not a charity.

+1. There's really no need for any airline to provide any entertainment at all, IMO. Books, iPods, tablets, crosswords, sudoku, etc., etc. It's not really all that difficult to entertain yourself for a few hours.