US Airways award ticket routing help request

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by cleome, Jun 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to book 3 Y or J tickets CCU-PDX roundtrip
    onward Oct 20-25,2012
    return Jan 2/3,2012

I did my research on aeroplan.com, united.com

The best connection I am getting is:
    Oct 23: CCU-BKK-LAX-PDX
    Jan 2: PDX-LAX-ICN-BKK-CCU

Is it possible to do any better? I would have liked lower number of stops and J reward on the return. Am I missing anything?

I apologize if I posted this in a wrong forum.

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only way you could do fewer stops is to take a TPAC flight from PDX to an Asian city that has service to CCU. Does such a flight from PDX exist?

3. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    No it does not. I believe the only star alliance flight to CCU is BKK-CCU on TG

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also CCU-SIN on SQ, but you'll have a tougher time getting past SIN than past BKK.

You're not going to get less stops. CCU only connects to SIN and BKK. With the exception of the SIN-LAX nonstop (not redeemable with US miles), you need to have another stop from there to the USA. PDX does not have *A international presence, so that's another stop.

BKK-LAX is actually BKK-ICN-LAX and SIN-LAX is actually SIN-NRT-LAX.

Basically, you're looking at CCU-SIN/BKK-Asia-US-PDX as the most direct way.

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looking at CCU-SFO and CCU-LAX for those dates, the amount of availability in Business goes way way up. You might be better off redeeming miles to those major gateways, then purchasing a ticket to PDX from there. You'd have to leave enough time between the itineraries to guard against misconnects, but the flights are there ... PDX is what's holding you back.

6. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    A routing I found:

Oct 24:
    TG314 CCU BKK
    TG676 BKK NRT
    SQ12 NRT LAX
    UA 5567 LAX PDX

All layovers under 4 hrs

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    That looks pretty good frankly.

8. cleome

cleome Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the help here and by PM.
    I have a related question and was hoping somebody would have the answer. I am also looking at booking with UA miles. One of the good routes that creeps up is CCU-DOH-IAH-PDX. The CCU_DOH_IAH segments are on QR. I read that UA and QR are discontinuing partnership on Sept 14. Does that mean that if I have to change the dates of the travel after Sept 14, I would stuck with paying $150 fee since the same routing would never be available?

9. drymartini

drymartini Active Member

Status Points:
    I booked 2 j ft from ccu-lax and I wasn't so lucky as to only 1 stop. My parents had 3 layovers because no bkk-lax, sin-lax, lax-bkk, lax-sin availability. If u find 2 layover and find inventory consider itself lucky

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    US cannot book SQ J, so you wouldn't get SIN-LAX without a stop anyway.

TG doesn't fly BKK-LAX direct, there's a stop in ICN.

11. drymartini

drymartini Active Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, I never saw any availability on the bkk-icn-lax flight but maybe i missed it somehow. anyways, it was my parents first experience in J so obviously they loved it. :) since they had lounge access in all the airports, they didnt 3 stops in between in both direction. Only long layover was a 14 hour in ICN.

Daemon14. I am going to be posting a question in US Airways forum and would appreciate your insight in case you know the answer to my problem.