US Airways and American Miles post merger

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by vickers, Feb 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry if this has been asked, but I cant find it anywhere.

I understand that once US Air and American merge, they will continue to operate under 2 seperate compaines. But what will happen to miles?

I a masking as I do not fly US Air, but I am considering applying for their credit card to get the bonus miles, if the miles will then be merged into my American account after the transfer.

But I am not sure what is going to happen to US Air miles and American miles if they are going to continue to operate as 2. Thanks everyone.

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  2. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Eventually they will be combined. They are working off of two mainframes and combining them is no small task.

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And there has been no small amount of speculation of just how this will occur, as read on this website, and TOBB! Likely, it will take some time; after a couple of years, I'm still waiting for Southwest and AirTran to get their frequent flyer rewards programs in line.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    LETTERBOY and vickers like this.
  4. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chances are that we will be able to combine miles between AA and US accounts before the merger is complete. When UA and CO merged, the ability to move miles freely between accounts came some time before the merger was complete.

Max M, MX, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Southwest and Air Tran is also a good game, sure do miss NW.

US Air will open up a lot of new places for the AA group.

6. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, so the process has not officially been announced. I thought I was missing something. Thanks.!

7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the UA and CO situation, UA took over CO, and CO ceased to exist. AA and US Air will continue to operate as separate business units under the same ownership. Or is that not correct? lol I dont know why this is so confusing for me.

miles and smiles likes this.
  8. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, UA didn't take over CO. In general merger terms, it was a fairly evenly split merger. A holding company was created for both companies/units. Eventually parts of each were removed as they became redundant. (CO brand, UA leadership, UA operating certificate, CO maintenance certificate, etc.)

AA/US merger is very similar (although the split is more of a 70/30 finances wise).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    boondr, Newscience, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, i see what you are saying. I guess I was referring to the name only.

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope...it was more or less identical. Both the UA and CO brands continued to operate for a while and then eventually the CO brand was retired. Similarly the US brand will eventually be retired. There will almost certainly be a single loyalty program before that happens.

Also, it is possible to move points between Rapid Rewards and A+ Rewards, even though the two are operating separately: http://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/rapid_rewards_conversion_faq.html.

11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I was missing. Thanks!

12. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:

Late entry at this point: "UA Leadership", sort of...didn't Smisek and some of his cronies come from CO? Not that it adds or takes away from the convo but if you thought you were escaping from the clutches of the prince of devaluation you had another thing com'in when the UA/CO merger happened. If I have my facts right??

13. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct - my quote mentions things that were removed.