US Air Redemption Question (SPG transfer?)

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by xxxadixxx, May 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    My family wants to take a trip from IAH to Charlotte, NC. This would require 3 tickets and one infant in lap. My wife and I have enough US Air points for two tickets (35,000 each). With the US Airways transfer bonus, I could transfer SPG to get the third ticket, but I wanted to see if I am missing anything. I currently have ~17,500 SPG points. I intend to purchase 2,500 SPG points ($70) to get up to 20,000. This will give me a SPG bonus to 25,000 for the transfer which will then have the 75% bonus from US Airways and thus enough for the third ticket.

Moving past the value of the points (we do not intend to travel much on US Air), what is the most efficient way to book this trip? Specifically, I cannot book a reward with in-lap infant online. Can I book 2 rewards and then call for the third (with infant)? Also, does anyone have experience with transfering from SPG to US Air and how long does it take. The trip will be the last week of June, but we would want to book soon. Is this a quick process?

This would be my first reward redemption and I appreciate any advice you may provide. Thanks.

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been dumping stuff from all over the place into US Airways since the promo started -- including SPG -- and nothing has posted as of yet. You will get confirmation -- and your points will leave your account -- immediately when you do the transfer from SPG, but my guess it's they will use the customary "6-8 weeks" to cover themselves.

I just dumped a bunch of Priority Club points as well (you have to call them rather than do it online) and was told that it would take "up to 2 weeks" -- although I'm not sure if that's accurate and whether or not it applies to other hotel chain transfers.

I'll let someone else comment with regards to what they think of buying SPG points to use them on an IAH/CLT trip. :)

3. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    viguera, thanks for the reply. From your post it sounds like it is safe to assume that transfering from SPG is not going to be viable for this trip due to the timing. We plan to travel June 28, which would require us to book our tickets shortly rather than waiting for the points transfer. I guess that means I am back to the drawing board. I could always just pony up the money for one of the three tickets, but we were trying to minimize the out of pocket expenses for the trip. Thanks again.

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Transfers from SPG to most airlines typically are completed between 2 days and 2 weeks. If they haven't shown up within 2 weeks, follow up with SPG to investigate.

Some airlines require 30 days.

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    What would the cash price of the trip be? Is it in Y or F? If not planning to fly US in the future, would it not be better/possible to save them for use on a partner airline? (I see that the OP said, "Moving past the value of the points," so I won't dwell on this too much.)

I'm more curious about how xxxadixx came up with the 35,000 mile award price per ticket. I'm not seeing how any RT domestic award on US can add up to 35K miles.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    IAH to CLT is $277 (with taxes) on the US Airways website, probably less since the OP stated he'd get a 75% bonus, which I take it means he has a US Airways MC which gives you a discount when booking.

Indeed... US has 12.5 / 20 / 30k. But I remember seeing 17.5k somewhere, which would make sense as that adds up to 35k.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Viguera, you are correct. My wife and I both have the US Air MC, which automatically subtracts 5,000 miles from a reward ticket.

The trip would be in Y. The short story here is that we are going to see my brother-in-law graduate from boot camp. For the whole family the trip would cost ~$1,200 out of pocket (flight and rental car). My commnet about ignoring the value of the redemption was due to the fact that today, $1,200 in my pocket is a little more valuable than using these points a year from now. I conceed there are better uses for the points where I could redeem them at a higher value, but considering we do not travel often (and do not expect to travel much for the next 12-18 months) using these points will not significantly impact our future travels. We have been collecting points over the past 10 months and have about 600,000 miles/points in other programs for future trips.

I am really on the fense about the SPG points. They have a high intrinsic value due to their ability to transfer and I am reluctant to transfer to US Air with no future US Air travel planned. In the end, I think due to this hesitation and the transfer time, I will just use the two award tickets and pay for the third.

SC Flier likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, my SPG points were just transferred today, so I guess that's 3 business days.

9. xxxadixxx
    Original Member

xxxadixxx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent. Thanks for the update. It looks like I will not be able to use my US Air miles afterall. They have travel blacked out on Friday July 1. Now its back to the drawing board!

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably the 4th of July weekend will cause some blackouts, so look around and see.

BTW, as I mentioned in the US forum -- and was confirmed by someone else -- you can expect the actual conversion miles to transfer first, then the bonus miles to transfer at a later date. I mention it since that would probably monkey-wrench your entire endeavour if you have to wait an extra week (or however long) for the bonus miles to post.