US AIR barclays

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by jakem4800, Jul 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

As most of you are aware the US AIR MasterCard from Barclays is getting replaced by the AA advantage Barclays card and CITI bank will be out of the picture.

I have had an upgraded US AIR card for the last 2 years to the World elite US AIR MasterCard for no extra charge. (annual fee) What do you think my chances are in fighting Barclays to give me the AA world elite card for the $89 annual fee after this switch takes place. Obviously I'm aware that the AA world elite card comes with a club membership and that's one of the reasons it has a high annual fee. I'm enjoying some of the perks that the world elite card members get like choosing from the executive aisle at national car rental :)

2. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA cards are issued by Citi, not Barclays, a totally different bank. Barclays bank will not be issuing any AA cards.

satman40 and Newscience like this.
  3. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Currently yes your right, however, I go an email saying Barclays is taking over the AA advantage card in 2015 and CITI is ending their contract with AA

4. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe Barclays will only be doing a conversion. They wont be "issuing" any cards other than replacing the name US Air with AA on the one you currently have.

satman40 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you post that email? I think you misunderstood.

6. jakem4800

jakem4800 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok yea after another look this is the case, they made it sound like Barclays was taking over in their wording.

7. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that the AA cards business at Citibank is a huge enterprise, and that they would fight tooth-and-nail to retain it. Although they don't particularly shower the user with "free miles offers" the way that some other cards frequently do. :(

satman40 likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I certainly get more bonus offers for my Citi AA card than for all my (three remaining) Chase cards combined. In fact, I don't recall when I got any bonus offer from Chase.

Newscience and satman40 like this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a US Air card, and will not be getting the CP next year,

Have not received any emails from them.

I know of 500,000 miles plus from AA Citi this year, US Air is at 200k,,for me.
    Chase is still my number 1 card bank.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've had our Citibank AA cards for over 20 years. At one time, you could accumulate 5-10x spend at certain participating restaurants in their Dining plan option. This appears to be largely a thing of the past, or otherwise the participating restaurants in the various credit card dining plans aren't ones that we would normally choose to dine in.

The United Mileage Plus Club card from Chase, while expensive, provides 1.5x miles for spend on all purchases, along with United Cub access. It would be nice if the American Airlines/ Citibank WorldElite MasterCard (with AA club access) at least met this benchmark for spend mile bonus on all purchases.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I just canceled my UA club card a couple of months ago. I'd have to have a much higher non-bonused spend to benefit enough from the 1.5X on everything to justify the annual fee. And the club access just isn't that valuable to me anymore that I would essentially pay $400 for it.

Newscience likes this.
  12. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    And so, which is the best card to have as far as potential accumulated miles with a major airline is concerned?

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It depends :)

Newscience likes this.
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    O.K., but on what?

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which Major airline you want the miles on.
    The devil made me say that:rolleyes:

Newscience likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Many factors :)

To list a few things I consider:

- my spending pattern (lots of bonused spend?)
    - my travel pattern and goals
    - existing account balances (I might want to diversify to increase my flexibility of getting the awards I want)
    - my airline or hotel status (e.g., this year I am 1K with UA, so I get free award ticket changes, which IMO increase the value of UA miles)

When someone tells you that card XYZ is the best card, that's often accompanied with a link that earns them a nice chunk of money for your application.

mattsteg likes this.
  17. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where do you want to fly?
    Where do you fly from?
    What are your spending patterns?
    To what degree do CC bonuses influence your spending patterns?
    Where do you have and earn miles otherwise?
    Do you require/prefer economy, business, or first class mileage redemption?
    Do you have an airline preference or elite status?
    Do you need to bolster that status via CC spend?
    How do you feel about fuel surcharges?

I could probably keep going...there are a lot of options with different benefits and drawbacks.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen! And it's a good thing that this never occurs on MP or TOBB! :D

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and these are all worthwhile considerations. There's often no easy single answer for most folks. Choose your best Plan A, have a Plan B necessary, and just in case, perhaps, Plans C, D... The airlines and banks all work things to their best advantage. And also be aware that the answers to these questions likely change over time.

20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A portfolio approach is usually best. I like to have miles in all alliances. Of course if you hoard too many they will devalue before you can burn through them - accept this or try to minimize balances.

21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I often fly one way with one airline, only to return on another, cause I have a limited number of miles, and many times the airline schedules are closer to my desired schedule.

22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. The US-AA merger killed my *A gateway, so I now (reluctantly) am accumulating UA miles for that purpose. From the East Coast, I fly so infrequently on Delta that pursuing SkyTeam miles isn't worth the effort for me. It's very much dependent upon where you fly from and where you want to go. And I suspect that many Milepointers are inconvenienced by many smaller airports being all-but-abandoned by the majors.

23. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes...it's also time for a big redemption in oneworld here, as US was my main *A program, along with A3. My oneworld balances are way too high. Right now in *A I have a few A3 miles, and a stash or UR points that could go to united.

Historically Skyteam has been plenty functional for quick hops across the Atlantic. At the end of the day you end up using what you earn and are most comfortable with - I've redeemed mostly Skyteam, even though it's reputation is that of the worst availability, especially domestically. Flexibility is good to have, but sometimes you end up at the same well repeatedly.