US Air/American Merger + Credit card points

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by hunnybunny, Jun 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hunnybunny

hunnybunny New Member

Status Points:
    Hello all - I'm new here, so bear with me.

I have a question, and I apologize if its already been answered earlier.

Hypothetically, if I took out two credit cards right now - the Citi American Airlines card (w/ 40,000 points if you spend $3k in the first 3 months), and I also took out the Barclays Premier US Air World Mastercard (w/ 30,000 points after you make your first purchase, plus an additional 10,000 points on balance transfers)...

...and then the merger goes through - not sure when, but lets say in the next 6 months - ...

would I be able to combine the two credit cards, and keep all the points?

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

SuperKirby, marcwint55 and tondoleo like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP.:)

According to our friends on TOBB this link for the Cit Visa has 50,000 points. You may want to try it. https://www.citicards.com/cards/acq...F11111W&langId=EN&siteId=CB&B=S&screenID=3001

The points accrued from the AA card and US Air card will merge into AA miles without you having to do anything. You will be able to have all of your miles. If past history stays the same a few months after you get the US Air card a postcard or email will offer you 15,000 bonus miles if you spend $ 750 each month for 3 months. This may be more palatable than doing a balance transfer and incurring fees for the transfer.

Good luck in acquiring your miles for your AA account.

Counsellor and marcwint55 like this.
  3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Welcome to Milepoint. Your miles will eventually be combined and as tondoleo stated, a balance transfer will incur costs, probably more than the miles are worth

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have any sort of side business/income generating hobby you should also get the us business card since that is a first purchase bonus.

5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is the latest on antitrust? I had heard there was some concern with about smaller markets being affected and the like.

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK, just noise from Congress. It likely won't amount to much, if anything. The worst that'll happen is they'll have to give up some slots at DCA.

7. zpdiflyer

zpdiflyer Member

Status Points:
    Silly question here: what's TOBB? I'm asking because I just followed the link, applied and was approved -- but neither the landing page nor the approval notice specified the mileage amount to be awarded. I'd like to get a copy of the advertisement that offered 50K.

Thanks!

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    TOBB = The Other Bulletin Board, namely www.flyertalk.com.

I've been at this for years and still don't know all the abbreviations. When I first started following FlyerTalk, the VAST majority of members were truly business-traveler frequent fliers and all miles were earned with their butts in airplane seats. Trust me, they spoke a language I never learned! Nowadays, there are a lot of people like me who get points other ways and are concerned with maximizing the acquisition and then the use of those miles/points.

LETTERBOY and flyforawg like this.
  9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also look up many acronyms by simply double clicking or highlighting them. A brief explanation is given for most of the common references. No harm in asking in a post, but this could save you some time and maybe allow you to learn some that might not be important enough for you to make a post on otherwise.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, it's somewhat silly to use TOBB instead of FT or even the full name, Flyertalk. Surely we don't need to censor ourselves here?

11. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a word of caution. FT can get downright vile and nasty. If you dare to say something positive about a hotel or airline (especially UA) be prepared to get flammed. While they are larger and there is lots of good info there, sadly you have to wade through 1000's of lbs of crap to get that nugget of good info. I think you will find that while smaller this board is much nicer. Plus if people get out of line and get nasty you will get a msg from the big boss, who will basicly tell you to knock it off and plau nice. (Yes, i sadly have recieved a coupe of those pm's and i am much nicer now. :))

12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    One reason I don't go to FT anymore.