US: 100% bonus for sharing miles (Oct 2012)

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by SC Flier, Oct 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I am glad I didnt pull the trigger during the Buy miles bonus promotion last month. Been looking for a cheap way to top off my account and this seems like a good opportunity.

So, if wife and I both have accounts (with > 50K in them), we can use this to each generate 50K miles at ~1.14 cpm, right?

3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally.

Now to wait for the hotel transfer bonus. :)

daninstl and Quasiconvexity like this.
  4. Global Explat
    Original Member

Global Explat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

viguera, daninstl and Quasiconvexity like this.
  5. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did this today.

Some data points: I had two family accounts with decent balances in each, lets call them A & B, two active accounts with small balances, C & D, and one account E that I set up two weeks ago with zero balance.

A & B shared 50k each with C & D and miles transferred instantaneously. A also shared 50k with E, miles hit instantaneously. E shared 50k with A, instantaneous. E also shared 50k with B....but this one took a full 12hours to process.....

SC Flier likes this.
  6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did make the mistake of buying some miles last month. I guess I was grieving the no go on the grandslam then this hit so I did it too. I think the value is good but I'm running low on extra money laying around for this sort of stuff.

7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the 50k limit only on the sender or the receiver or both?

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    The limit is on the recipient only.
    "Members may receive a maximum of 50,000 bonus miles during the offer period."

daninstl and ballardFlyer like this.
  9. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you! Looks like my SO and I are going to do some horse trading back and forth :)

SC Flier likes this.
  10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Dang! I wish I had some US miles in my account. I opened one (hoping for Grand Slam) but it sits empty!

SC Flier likes this.
  11. ayarella

ayarella Active Member

Status Points:
    Anyone interested in sharing 50k miles both ways with me? Please email ayarella@gmail.com. :)

12. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, so say I transfer 40k to my spouse......he gets 80k? Then can he transfer 50k back to me and i get 100k?

Edit: sorry, he has little to no points is the point.

14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly what it is... 100% bonus for transfers and the reports are that they post instantaneously.

Don't forget that in addition to the cost there's a fee and taxes, and I wouldn't transfer 40k to get 80k unless that will put you at a specific threshold you wanna achieve. You can just as easily transfer 25k to get 50k, then transfer that 50k back into your account to get 100k.

Global Explat and TravelBear like this.
  15. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking the fixed charges would impact the cost per mile in a more significant way- hence i maxed out on this.

But just ran the numbers: the cost per mile of 40k is 1.15c, and for 25k it's marginally higher: 1.195c. Difference is not that meaningful at all...

viguera likes this.
  16. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does buying these miles count as "airfare" if using an Amex gold, or as USAir spending if you have a USair card (for a small extra bonus?)

17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think so. IIRC, it's a purchase from points.com -- not from USAirways.

18. ckgunn01

ckgunn01 Active Member

Status Points:
    Missed this one all around. Signed up for card in sept and miles won't post until nov. Skipped the purchase bonus as I was getting the 40k from the card. Now I got no points in time for xfer and will have 40k just after it expires. If only I bought 13k. I can't even ask board for xfer partner as no one will trust me. Stinks seeing easy miles go to waste, but there are worse things. At least I'll be ready next time.

Global Explat likes this.
  19. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:

You could set up a second account for a friend/relative. The account needs to have been open two weeks when you share miles. As long as you do this soon you'll still be able to meet the Oct 31 deadline. Of course you'll have to buy some miles first, so wont be as cheap as simply sharing alone, but still may be a good deal...

20. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:

Just working through the math: If you weren't targetted for a 100% Buy miles promo, 25k miles will cost you 940.63.

If first account shares those 25k, it will cost you $298.75, netting 50k for the second account.
    Second account shares the 50k with the first account, costing $567.50, and netting 100k for first account
    First account could then share 25k more with second account (because theres a 50k max per account), costing $298.75 again.

Net: First account has 75,000. Second account has 50,000. Total Cost: $2,105.63. So, doing this way would be 1.68cents per mile... not nearly as good a deal as the share promo alone....

Some of the blogs were talking about lots of accounts being targeted for a 100% bonus promo for Buying Miles currently. If you are targeted for that, this average cost per mile will come down a lot...

21. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    -- nevermind this section, I realize you added the taxes and fees :) --

But at the end of the day, US has a promo for buying/sharing about every 3 1/2 days, so unless he needs the miles right now for an award or something else, I wouldn't sweat it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one sitting on a truckload of hotel points from the Wyndham promos waiting for the hotel sharing bonus. :)

Global Explat likes this.
  22. Global Explat
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah- I wouldn't be buying at 1.6+cents myself.. But it might make sense for someone...

23. ckgunn01

ckgunn01 Active Member

Status Points:
    All you need for programs to work is someone to spot you 10k miles.

A - gets 20k from anyone - 10k + 100%
    B - gets 40k - 20k + 100%
    A - back from B - gets 80k - 40k + 100%

A Ends up with 80k, B has 0

All I need is someone to xfer 10k. I would pay a premium for a mere 10k transfer if anyone is interested. As I posted earlier, my credit card points post in early nov and I haven't been targeted for 100% purchase offer.

24. vespa2

vespa2 Active Member

Status Points:
    Just tried to share 4,000 miles. I thought that it would cost $40.00 but it ended up being $73.00 with taxes/fees. That's a lot of taxes. I decided against it.

25. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taxes are 7.5%. There's a $30 per transaction fee. So for only 4K miles, it's $40 + $3 taxes + $30 transaction fee. It's a terrible deal if you're only transferring a few thousand miles.

vespa2 and viguera like this.