Under Review URL of threads to reflect which forum they are part of

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by Simon, Aug 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This surely must have been discussed before but i cannot find it.

You know how on FT you can scroll over posts and the URL gives away what forum it is from by its URL address. In MP you have no idea, i am often left wondering after seeing the trending threads as to what forum they belong to. So a thread titled "Free 3000 points" could be for anything and without clicking further to find out which forum this belongs to, there is no other way to tell.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, but part of the problem is more generally OPs who do not use informative titles. For example, I might be interested in AmEx MR points, but not it they require flying Southwest. Perhaps a fix could be for MP to automatically insert a brief abbreviation at the start of the thread title such as the airline or airport code associated with the thread, which could change when threads are moved without destroying links.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I requested this months ago. No one seems to care. :rolleyes:

4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    one problem is that currently thread links are portable- you can move a thread to a different forum, and the URL doesn't change. Also, the database is set up with all URL's in one folder, rather than having as many folders as there are forums, which keeps management simpler.

One possibility would be a setup where a mouse hover over, which currently brings up the first line or so of the post, could bring up the forum name followed by the first line or two of the post. Is that technically feasible?

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    I'll add this to the suggestions master list. Thanks,

Tim

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think either of these is an issue. The text in the URL actually doesn't matter in terms of finding the data in the DB. That's how the old links in FT still work. The number at the end of the URL represents the Thread ID in the database. So if I have "/forum/hilton/Best SPG in Montana.1234" and it gets moved to "/forum/starwood/Best SPG in Montana.1234" both the old and new links work because thread 1234 can be found. The old url gets updated to point to the correct place in the background. No big deal. And having all the threads in a single folder is not easier for management. There's a reason things get filed.

Gargoyle likes this.
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense and sounds like a good structure.

Wandering Aramean likes this.